Sluggish acceleration in a 1996 Accent

I have a problem with a 96 Accent that when I go to accelerate, it does so, but very slowly, and once it hits a certain point (about 3500 rpms in second gear or third gear) the car starts to decelerate. The O2 sensors have already been checked, along with transmission fluid. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Canadian Tire has already told me that its not the catalytic converter. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
mmcclaf

Can you tell whether the transmission is slipping (indicated by a significant increase in rpm on acceleration but not a similar increase in vehicle speed)? That's one possible scenario.

Low fuel pressure is another possible issue.

And, of course, a partially clogged converter or otherwise plugged exhaust could be the issue.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

This was my son's post about his accent. We had tried various things like checking for transmission slippage, fuel pressure problems from either a clogged filter or a dying fuel pump, dirty MAF, converter blockage, etc. but nothing seemed to help. Finally found the problem right in front of our faces. Timing belt had jumped 2 teeth. Car was due for timing belt change anyway so that was carried out and everything is right with the world once more. Guess we should stop trying to make simple problems too complex lol. Thanks for your response Hyundaitech.

Cheers... Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf