Bleeding clutch!

Anyone got any tricks for bleeding the Mk2 clutch? I don't seem to be able to get that last bubble out. TIA GrahamL

Reply to
Graham L

Make sure you're NOT using silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid. I'ts so thin that it flows right around many bubbles.

Reply to
throwaway8

...and I am! That would explain why I can't flush the bubbles out. Thanks,

Graham L

Reply to
Graham L

I can't guarantee that that's your problem but it DID happen to me with my e-type. I bled everything fine but couldn't, for the life of me, get the clutch bled. I finally went back to the regular stuff and had no problem. The reason I went to the silicone stuff was for it's corrosion resistance but I discovered that just bleeding the regular stuff once a year will do the same. Regular fluid absorbs moisture over time so the following is recommended, Bleed your system every year with new fluid. Use enough to ensure you've replaced all the old fluid. Use ALL the fluid in an opened can. Once you've opened it, the fluid begins absorbing moisture from the air. Buy only small bottles for top ups. It may not be as economical but it ensures you don't have partially filled bottles hanging around. (By the way, in the aircraft maintenance industry we treat hydraulic fluid the same way, for the same reasons) Happy Jagging!

Reply to
throwaway8