Check Engine Lite - Which Code Reader

Oh well, the dreaded "check engine" light has lit on my 96 VDP with

92000 on the odometer. Guess I'll need to start investing in tools. I've heard the code reader from Harbor Freight is okay, any other recommendations out there? My wrench turning days are long past, so I don't want to spring for a Snap-On or such. Where do I find a list of codes and which manuals are recommended? Thanks Al
Reply to
A. J.

Hello Al,

I have an 03 XJ8 and use a DriveRight CarChip EX . This chip plugs into the OBD II port which is in the drivers footwell closest to the radio. The chip will record 300 hours of information without having to download to the PC. It will give you all the codes in the computer as well as reset the check engine light is you like. It really fits the bill for me. I can also keep track of all the speed \ engine usage information right on my PC.

Here is a link to the companys page.

221 You can buy them at your local Autozone or auto parts store. I got mine from Ebay and it works great.

Good luck. Mike

A. J. wrote:

Reply to
mjordan44

Or you could just go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and they'll read it for you and clear the code for free. R, Gunner

Reply to
Gunner