Instantaneous Fuel Consumption

The computer in our XJ40 has a little quirk. All of the buttons work every time with the exception of the Instantaneous Fuel Consumption button which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Am I doing something wrong or is there a cure?

We have just had the Lambda probe changed and I want to assess the full effect on fuel consumption around town with more than the Average Since Last Reset, which takes an age to give a reading by which time you have come to a traffic light or roundabout.

Regards

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Hi Paul, The computer works really well in our 88 XJ-40. Sometimes if you push the button too much too rapidly, it will clear everythig and then cycle thru all the "problem" symbols and then go blank. But its still working, coz if you push the instant fuel button (or other function) it pops right up. As for the instant fuel reading, its not much use to me as I live in hill country. Go up a big hill and it drops to 8 MPG. Drop off the other side of the hill and let off the gas and it will run up to 99 MPG! If youre in flat country, it may be useful to you. You will have trouble keeping that display up tho if you have any trouble codes popping up, so keep punching the fuel button :o) I just clear the memory and use the average fuel button at gas fill-up. I only have to go a few miles to get a good average reading. My average is 21 in town and 27 on the interstate. Hope this helps. Nathan

Reply to
Belinda Bates

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Belinda Bates) wrote in news:22547-413D6B16-196 @storefull-3215.bay.webtv.net:

Good old LUCAS :-)

Unreliable ALL the time. At Home: XJ6 electrical problems -- :-(

420G electrical problems -- :-( DS420 burnt wires -- :-( Mini 850 lots of electrical problems -- :-(

Ford Falcon -- fine :-) Ford Meteor -- fine :-) Holden Statesman - Fine :-) Suzuki Carry -- Fine :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian

Dear Paul,

The button pad is notorious for cracked solder joints. Simply remove the pad and inspect/resolder all joints. Also the contacts under the button are subject to dirt/grime. Carefully clean the contacts using an eraser while you have the pad out for inspection.

Regards,

B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Blake

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall give it a try.

Paul

Reply to
Paul