03 Max a gas guzzler?

Hey maxima fans, just bought my first Max, an '03 Max SE auto with 46 K km. I've had it for 2 months now and am impressed (used to drive an Accord 4cyl!!). I've put about 2K km on it so far.

I have a major concern regarding fuel consumption: I am consistently getting

Reply to
aly78

JimV

So is this normal Jim? My mpg is no way near that reported by other users or Nissan, in general by most other owners ie B/w 19-21 mpg for city driving. Will it improve in the summer time? What year model do u have and what is your avg mpg? Thanks

Reply to
aly78

I get about 25 on the highway and about 16 in the city on my '02.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks. Based on your response I guess that I'm on par. I don't know how many miles u have, but did u ever see ~20 mpg in the city? And does your fuel efficiency calc (trip computer) change or is it just 1 constant reading?

Reply to
aly78

I've got the same car with about the same amount of km's on it. I'm getting the same mileage as you're indicating in the city and on the hwy.

Nice car, but heavy on fuel. Lots of horsepower there though. You always pay for power.

Reply to
MGB

Yeah but I thought that the VQV6 is a pretty (fuel) efficient engine? I know a couple of people with '05 Altimas (3.5L, same engine right?) and they report 600km to the tank (406 miles) highway mileage.

On a side note, I had rented a Ford Explorer (Triton? V8) for a couple of weeks and that returned approx 550 Km to the tank (`75L I think?).

Reply to
aly78

For lo, "aly78" hath proclaimed:

I have a 2000 I30 with the 3-liter version of the V6, and I get a fairly-consistent 27-28 mpg on the highway, which is a bit short of 12 km/liter. In town, 21 mpg, except when it's *very* cold, when it drops to 19 or so.

Reply to
Charles G. Hill

Keep in mind that with a 10 minute commute in winter, your car spends more time warming up than actually operating at normal temperature, and in warmup mode all cars are very in-efficient.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Sorry, I didn't clarify, I get under 400 KM per tank in the city and about

600 KM per tank on the highway. Big difference, for obvious reasons. If you aren't getting about 600 KM on the highway, then I would think something is wrong... At 110Km/hour the engine is revving about 2500 rpm. (4 speed automatic)
Reply to
MGB

I hate to post this,,,but is the entire world mathematically challenged,,??

Fill the dam tank,,,

drive until its about 1/4..

fill it again,,,

and divide the number of miles, or Kms, by the number of gallons or liters you just bought- to come up with the GAS MILEAGE/Kms>>>!!!!

the number of whatever per "tank full" is meaningless,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen this same idiotic post over and over and over on this group - learn to use a calculator people - the number per tank full is meaningless,,,,,

Reply to
common_ sense

If you can't handle the simplicity of the conversation, keep your math to yourself. If I wanted more math, I'd finish my PhD in electrical engineering.

Most people who drive a car can relate to the jist of the conversation above. It's unfortunate that you can't.

Reply to
MGB

Thank you. I will begin this practice from now on to get a more precise figure rather than a ballpark. BTW, Re-setting the trip odometer b/w the following steps you outlined would further assist those mathematically challenged

RESET trip odo

Reply to
aly78

I've got a 2003 maxima, and your mileage is a bit on the poor side, but not lots. I average about 9 to 10 litres per 100 kilometres. Try resetting the fuel effeciency calculator - you reset it by holding down the trip button on the steering wheel while you are looking at the fuel effeciency calculator. I think that it tends to average the consumption since the last reset, and it's hard to get it to change much if you have not reset it in a long time. Idling in the morning will certainly have a bad effect on your milage, a really bad effect. City driving - the stop light to stop light stuff - sure doesn't not help either. If I'm doing almost all city driving, it may top out 1t about 12.5 litres per 100 kilometres. If it's pretty much all highway then 9 is about what it settles at.

Regards - great car! William

Reply to
William Mastop

Reply to
aly78

the conversation is simplistic to the point of being idiotic,,,

you can not determine fuel mileage by using "distance per tankful",,,,!!!!

The gas gauge is at best plus or minus 20 percent,,,

You do not need a PHD to perform the calculation to get an accurate gas mileage,,,8th grade will do fine - something you apear to lack,.

Reply to
common_ sense

you got it .....and if you use the trip OD as you state its even easier,,,,

not attacking you btw - this same post in different form must have come up a dozen time - you simply can not calculate fuel mileage based on distance per tankfull - the gas gage is at best plus or minus 20 percent,,

and no you do not need a PHD to do this simple calculation,,???????

my 2000 gets 18 to 19 in the city, and 26 to 28 mpg on the highway - your more powerfull car may get less, as will it if your in a very cold climate.

Reply to
common_ sense

I have a 2003 3-liter manual Max (200 hp here in Europe), and I never get my average fuel consumption above 12 l / 100 km even though I drive like a maniac most of the time. The lowest figure I've reached was 7,2 l / 100 km on a 170 km trip, 1/3 of which was 80 km/h and the rest 110 km/h average (GPS figure, not speedometer)...and with winter tires. Of course the auto tranny in your Max explains the difference to some extent, but 15 l / 100 km....? I think you should have your car checked by a mechanic.

Great car btw. :-)

"aly78" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
PK

Yes, apparently you're the anal rocket scientist in the bunch who takes these conversations a little too seriously.

I guess you have to troll through the newsgroups and critique postings so you can appear in your own mind as smarter than someone else?

Not worth continuing this posting since we've discovered the troll.

Reply to
MGB

Ya know, I had seen an irritated posting similar to yours (a few actually) in regards to calculating ACTUAL fuel economy.(not sure if it was you?)while searching this group for info prior to posting. In fact, my lttle blerb with regards to "my calculations leave a little something to be desired.....work with me etc...) were directed to/ made with the subscriber(s?) who find this simple method quite ANNOYING, in mind. Didn't think it would bee such a PEEVE, nonetheless I appreciate your input with regards to your gas mileage.

Reply to
aly78