Overdrive blocks on 1962 MK2

Greetings to all!

Wonder if someone can help me avoid taking down the whole overdrive...

I have custody of a 1962 MK2 in original condition (means that as I work on it, I find mostly 1962 parts...). I have a overdrive unti that showed some strange behavior. The problem dates from over 5 years, and as I could not get involved in a repair, I disconnected the solenoid wire. Yesterday, worked on control actuator on side of OD to get it moving again:

When the car is cold, turn on ignition (engine stopped), put 4th in gear and as I actuate the OD control lever, hear the solenoid operate (clack). Turn on engine and let it warm up, and when engine warm (choke turns off) cannot hear the solenoid clack. Yesterday ran the car on a highway (warm engine,

4th gear), and after operating the OD control lever suddenly OD turn on. However, cannot take it off, even with coasting, gear changing, ... Pull in garage and see that I cannot reverse (knew that there could be a problem so I was very gentle in engaging the clutch): the transmission feels blocked. Leave the car to cool down. After 20 mn, transmission still blocked. Return after 1.5 hours and am relieved to feel the car reverse.

Anybody have any suggestion as to possible things to do to try to fix before dismantling and cleaning/inspecting the whole unit?

In addition to the above problem, encouraged by the return to normal of the transmission, I proceeded to get the car turned around in its parking box. Make 100 ft reversing the car, move forward another 50 ft, Prepare to do final reverse into the box, and reverse gear does not engage: gear shift lever pushed all the way forward, can hear (and faintly feel) teeth trying to engage but definitely no motion transmitted. Had to push into box.

This morning drive the car back and forth in and out of the box with no apparent problem.

Anybody have any ideas on above problem?

Grateful for any indication

Stan

Reply to
SCD

If the overdrive is stuck on and you try to reverse then I think there is a conflict between the unidirectional clutch at the rear of the unit and the sun and planet gearing. The gears will try to drive the output shaft with the speed-up ratio but the unidirectional clutch will be locked and prevent this.

Basically you MUST have the overdrive dis-engaged before you try reversing or you could break something.

Possible causes of overdrive not dis-engaging:

  1. Control mechanism out of adjustment or electrical fault.
  2. Blocked restrictor jet in valve.
  3. Sticking (cone) clutch.
  4. Damaged parts within the unit.

Peter.