Parts Fairey overdrive

Just dismantled two Fairey overdrive units. Wanted to install one of them on my RRC '81. Both units however have a bad laygear. Teeth have been damaged, so the laygear should be replaced. Cannot find any suppliers here in Holland. Maybe someone knows a supplier in UK who i can contact? Maybe someone has a nice used one? Expect it's the same gear as OD units used on series LARO.

Thks

Kees

Reply to
k.w

The RRC and Series Fairey overdrives are not the same and not interchangeable. I know you can get parts for the Series one from Rovers Down South in New Orleans, so you might try their website.

JD

Reply to
JD

I know the overdrives as a unit are not interchangeable, but I thought the laygears are the same. Also , Fairey is a UK company, so why order parts from the USA ?

Reply to
k.w

AFAIK Fairey no longer exist as a company.

Reply to
EMB

Correct. I had a Fairey winch on my 110 and tried to get support for it. I got info from, I think, Superwinch, but they were not able to help with spares. John

Reply to
John Moppett

Just got an answer from Roverssouth USA. Laygear is not the same. RR laygear is no longer available. :-((( Hope someone has a good used one.

Reply to
k.w

Try LEGS in Oswestry.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 2000 110CSW
Reply to
sean101ryan

Hi I know it might be more expensive but what about getting a new gear made by a gear company, if you want it that bad spend a bit of money and you will end up with an overdrive that you know is good !!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Because that is where the supply of parts plus the tooling went when Fairey (later Superwinch) got out of the overdrive business. As I understand it, Rovers Down South bought the rights to the designs, as well as the tooling and stock of spare parts. JD

Reply to
JD

There's also one here - if the page is up-to-date:

Dougal

Sorry, Kees - that's the one that you don't want. My mistake.

Reply to
Dougal

Sometimes I just amaze myself othertimes I amaze someone else

difficult to say which model Fairey O/D but the lay gears and shaft are both listed

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Contacted Legs - out of stock, no new supply expected. Layshaft Series expected to become a problem soon too !! I was told this is a common problem with the Fairey overdrive units. Lookin at the damaged teeth seems to be a lubrication problem to me. (wrong type of oil) Fairey subscribes EP90 oil, while transfer box uses 20W50 oil. But ... there's an open connection between the inside of the OD unit and the gear box, so lubricants will mix. I've seen an article somewhere on a Laro site, which tackles the same problem. Filling up the transfer box too with EP90 should solve the problem.

Kees

Reply to
k.w

On or around Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:09:35 +0100, "k.w" enlightened us thusly:

what transfer box do you know that's meant to run on 20W50? The only one I can think of would be the LT95, where the T-box and main box are a unit. Not even absolutely sure about them.

all the series run gear oil in the gearbox and T-box, and the LT230s etc also run gear oil in the T-box, although they run lighter stuff or ATF in the 5-speed main boxes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

101s run 20W.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Yes, it's the LT95 ,fitted to RRC from '70 till early eighties.Also fitted to 101, stage one. Here's the link about the lubrication:

Kees

Reply to
k.w

On or around Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:00:15 +0000, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

ah, so I was right about the LT95 then.

I'd have thought that in a rangie a better option nowadays would be a

5-speed box from a later one.

don't be tempted to a disco box though, as fitting same to a rangie (or, indeed, 'tother way round) is non-trivial - the box itself is the same but the shifting stuff on top isn't and neither is it a straight swap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles