Re: 88 XJ40 Torque Convertor Noise

O.k., my transmission has stopped pulling. Its like neutral in all gears now. The noise (described in my first post) got worse and I limped home slowly, then nothing, wont pull at all now. I still suspect a broken torque convertor, but am open to advice. Regards, Nathan

Reply to
Belinda Bates

Hi Nathan,

Log on to

and ask the people there. They know much more about Jaguar there than

the people who are here.

Pepe

Reply to
Pepe

And the only thing you seem to know is..

Contribute or leave.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Nathan,

The writing is on the wall...it is such a chore to remove the transmission it would be silly to not re-build/re-place it when you get it out.

I would find it hard to believe that a failed torque convertor is the problem, but not impossible.There is a spraque clutch inside convertor that do fail. The symptom of this is slow acceleration but everything seems ok once up to speed. No rebuild typically needed.

Perhaps the blades have sheared off inside? Well in this case you will have metal inside all the workings of the trans... rebuild.

Broken flex plate? I dont think you would dare keep you engine running in this case.

What else is in the convertor assembly? Well a bushing and the pump. If the pump has failed the the result will be metal throughout the trans... rebuild.

Once you open the case and peer inside to see what has failed...rebuild.

You can install a pressure guage to see what you system pressure is, and that is a firm foundation to begin building upon. I am not tying to put the fear of death into you, but automatics are typically not serviced but renewed. Debris floating through the system will cause failure later, and if you replace your transmission be sure to have the cooling lines cleaned out with solvent or you'll be pulling the darn thing back out again.

Here is a link to an inline transmission filter.

Cheers, B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Thanks Blake! Everything you said sounds right. In the past, on Chevys, Ive had automatics hang between gears and act screwy from a clogged filter, and modulators cause problems on even older models. But this one has the mechanical "noise" which indicates something "broken" to me. I suppose Ill just look for a tranny out of a wrecked car, or just sell the car "as-is" on ebay. Dont even know what its worth, but its a pretty slick looking car for its age, has all the service records back to day one, etc.. Thanks for the info! Regards, Nathan

Reply to
Belinda Bates

Maybe that's the best answer. Try opening your mind up a bit. You may find that you become a happier person.

Reply to
Al Marzo

Reply to
Graham L

LOL The joke is on me!!! Here is the link to the filter!!!!

Blake Dodson

Yes I will work on my presentation skills, however, Pepe has made it a ritual to bash this group and redirect.

I think that Jag lovers is a good resource, but it surely is no holy grail. In fact I have read some recommendations that are not wise.

For instance: "Clamp the brake hose while retracting a caliper" is pure foolishness. Clamping a braided brake line will damage it; this is why you are told not to let the caliper dangle when servicing your brake pads. Imagine your hose bursting in an emergency.

Pepe may or may not have chosen the correct words, and this I realise. But to discount our knowledge and experience as owners and redirct questions is no courtesy or compliment. Especially if it is a habit.

If we are all dumb then why is he here? Pepe, should give us a little more credit.

B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Maybe he's lurking to see if he can help we, the dumb owners. ;-) Anyway, well stated, I may have been a bit to brash myself. Al

Reply to
Al Marzo

B.D. and Al Marzo.

Sorry if I expressed myself in a way that hurt you feelings.

I don't doubt your knowledge and I'm happy that you are

out there to help other Jaguar owners. Maybe I was a little

too short in my answer to Nathan but. My first advise to

new people use to be, go and search the problem where

the most people are = JagLovers Forum!

Some people are very lazy and just want to have an answer

right away. I want people to help them self in the first way

and then ask questions in a way that will help them to solve

the problem.

There are so many basic things you must know about before

you can answer Nathans question or solve his problem.

For example; A friend of mine borrowed my car Jaguar XJ40

And drove it to the village, then he called me back and told me

he couldn't get the car to reverse when he should get out of the

parking lot and go back to my office. "Something must be wrong

with the gearbox, I can't drive forward and it will not shift to "R",

have you checked the oil level?" I was scarred and took another

car down to the village to see what was wrong with my darling.

When I entered the car and tried, all was OK. He had not had the

foot on the brake pedal and was not able to move the gear shift!

The front wheels was on the edge to the sidewalk, that's why he

could not drive forward!

Over to Nathans problem.

It might be the front pump/torque converter drive dogs that have sheared.

It might be the bolts holding the converter to the flywheel that has sheared.

I suggest that you (Nathan) get under the car and take a look at the

Converter. First check the bolts fitting the converter to the flywheel.

If they are ok, then prepare yourself for taking the transmission out

of the car. The only way to see if the converter is destroyed is to take

of the transmission.

I assume the following:

1.. There is oil to the right level in the transmission. 2.. There is no oil under the car. 3.. The wire from the gear stick to the transmission is connected.

Pepe

Jaguar XJ40 1994

Jaguar XJS 6.0 1995

Reply to
Pepe

It's ok Pepe,thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely right, many people dont help themselves and rely on other just as you have mentioned. Mr. Bates had done his homework, and pinpointed the noise to the torque conver housing. This is why I chose to assist him; he is not a typical time waster. Answering questions by long distance is a most frustrating task, especially if the person can not explain symptoms correctly. Sometimes you give them multiple solutions and they only perform one remedy, then return with "What now?". "Well what about the other solutions?"...no reply.

I work in the technology sector and I am constantly being bombarded by customers with questions that can be answered by opening their owners manual. It got so bad that I had to implement a $1.40 per minute charge if the call lasts over 5 minutes. The results of my new charge has reduced the number of "Idiot" calls I deal with. Objective completed- customers work to find answers themselves, and now I see that this was your objective as well.

I would like to take this time to say that I am sorry if I have offended you. I like this Newsgroup and I want it to be a complement to the other Jaguar sites, not compete with them.

Mijn liefde naar Nederland. Mijn moeders familie is van Wageningen.(sry for the poor grammar.) Hagel, Tulips, Leiden cheese, Grolsch.... what more would a man need? A Jaguar!

Best Regards, Blake Dodson

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Ok, No problems! Friends?! Lets help the guy Btw I'm from Sweden.

Pepe

Jaguar XJ40 1994 Jaguar XJS 6.0 1995

Reply to
Pepe

Yes of course!

Done

Big oops! My mistake. There are many small islands I am eager to explore in Sweden /Finland. Perhaps I could learn your toungue as well. ;-)

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson