XJ40 door handle

Hi!

3 of my door handles in my XJ40 (1988) have become very stiff. I have tried liberal doses of Lanolin, but they are still much stiffer than the 4th one. Any suggestions please?
Reply to
Moi

Against advice, I gave mine keyholes a short blast of RP7 or WD40 some years ago and not had a problem since. If I do, another short blast will be forthcoming ! Bill

Reply to
BTB

Reply to
Jim Insolo
70 pounds= 140.00 US X 3= 420.00 just for the parts Its a lot to pay on a 1000.00 car.

As has been suggested these handles are prone to breakage. Dont panic though, if you are slightly handy then you should be able to sort them out.

Try pushing the door closed whilst pulling up the lever, if the handle moves easily the door should open when you release the pushing force. Sometimes pulling only makes the handle stiffer to move and more likely to break.

If you find the above is the case then you will need to adjust the actuator rod in the door. Obviously you need to take the door trim off and gain access to the linkage. it should be fairly easy to spot the link rod as you can move it with the handle. It will be threaded with some sort of joint on the end, probably in plastic with a thread locking part. Sometimes these work loose and then the joint will slide up or down on the thread.

I know it sounds tricky but it won't take you long to do. Check out jaguarlovers.org for a more indepth instuctions.

Good luck. P.S. I don't think the handles are very expensive, if the worst should happen. About £70 from british parts i think and cheaper on ebay!

Mr Smooth

Reply to
Jim Insolo

[...]

Thanks to those who have replied. Here's an update. I did the turnbuckle thing and it much improved the situation. Now, it has highlighted a different problem. On 1 of the front doors in particular there is considerable outward pressure to to open (or stay open). When trying to open a little too much forec for comfort has to be applied to the handle and the door springs open. When closing, too much force is needed and the door does not shut smoothly with a satisfying click. I can't find any adjustment for this. I wonder if anyone else has experienced it.

Reply to
Moi

I dispute that the car is worth $1000! I've had many, including Aston Martins and Jensens. The XJ40 is by far the smoothest ride I've ever had, and the problems (there are a few) are a challenge I enjoy.

Reply to
Moi

I had 2 of the XJ 6 models- one 1988 and the other 1989- bought both used at dealer auctions for around 1000 each- dealers want nothing to do with them because those problems like door handles and auto levelling systems are potential warranty nightmares. They are great driving cars and that little

Reply to
Jim Insolo