Trade my Audi for an XJS?

I have a 1994 Audi 90 CS, 145k, automatic, in nice shape and a friend has a

1986 Jaguar XJS that he is looking to sell. I've lusted after XJS's since the 80s and have wanted one. My dad had one when I was a teenager so I know a bit about them . Anyways, my friend is looking for an older but nice car to use for commuting, so I proposed we do an even trade and he accepted!

His car has 97,000 miles and is in nice shape, no rust, new brakes, new tires, three owner, flawless paint finish, interior is nice except for a couple small blemishes on the seats. Only problems with it I can see is it has been driven only a few hundred miles in the summer for the last few years, it has almost no service history, the tranny slips a little on shifts during hard acceleration, needs an alignment, steering feels loose and vague on the highway (might be normal?) ...other than that a mechanic checked it out last summer and said everything else was ok with the car. It doesn't run hot!

Soo my question is, should I make the trade? I realize that I won't get any better fuel economy than a large SUV, that repairs are expensive, and it will break down sooner rather than later...but I adore the cars and think they're works of art. I have another car I could drive daily so if the Jag was down it wouldn't kill me. I think i'd be kicking myself if I didn't do it, like I said to myself...I can always find another cheap Audi to roll around in, but a chance to get a XJS like this will probably never come again. Any thoughts or opinions?

Reply to
Yaker

Yaker, Without a doubt, you are getting the better of the deal. The RETAIL book value of the XJS is $9100 versus the RETAIL value of the Audi at $4225. So in terms of cold hard values, you are coming out ahead. You need to know this car inside and out and the best way to do that is to start with the Kirby Palm book on the XJS. You can download it for free at:

Since you DO have a backup car for those times the Jag is down -- I would say that you should go for it. Regard it as a project until you get the car up and running well and you know it inside and out. They are magnificent beasts when cared for properly.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Reply to
Jo Bangles

I agree it's a good trade, just realize that you'll be putting probably $4k or more into the car to cure the issues you mentioned (and no, the XJS steering doesn't normally tend to feel loose and vague), so that will probably make the trade an even one, based on the NADA price guides. However, my experience locally is that the XJS sells for considerably less than the guides say, probably due to it's reputation for high maintenance $$$. Do you have a local repair shop that specializes in Jags and can handle an XJS?

Trad> Yaker,

Reply to
WayneC

I had to remove a couple of rubber bushings on the steering to get the XJS approved at the local inspection, after I put them back. To much play, they said.

Reply to
John