Tyre Changing

Here's my thought for the day..

I drive about 60,000 miles a year, most of that on the motorway. In the last couple of years I have seen a huge increase in the number of people with punctures at the side of the road with recovery services (AA/RAC etc) changing the wheel for them. I generally see 1 or 2 people a day with a puncture and its really rare to see anyone changing a wheel themselves.

Now, why should this be the case ? I am absolutely amazed that breakdown organisations would consider helping people with a simple puncture. Ok, I can understand if its a lady who cant undo the wheelnuts (Not being sexist here) but when its a normal fit man who cant be bothered, it beggars belief.

I know there are lots of people who read this newsgroup from other countries, is this the case worldwide or is it a UK problem only ?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

My guess is that it has to do with the number of people who have automobile club memberships and cell phones... if you're paying for roadside assistance insurance, and it's convenient to call, why not use it? I've reached an age where I'd just as soon let a younger guy wrestle with my flat tire, but I don't have a cell phone, so I'd probably change it myself, anyway. But, I don't see that many people having flats these days in the US.

Reply to
WayneC

This may be the reason for the increase. I can't say that I have noticed it at all here (deep south USA). I moainly see two types of people changing tires. People changing their own and people who stopped and helped somebody else. Of course, we do seem, to me anyway, to have more than our share of "disappeared from the side of the road" stories. I did have one young lady thst I stopped to help think that the flat repair fee was worth a hummer.

Reply to
Navree