Jupiter Tyres

Having spent £481 on a Vauxhall Astra 3rd year service and MOT I would like to know if anyone has heard of....

Jupiter Dark Horse Tyre ( £60 each )

Are they some cheap s**te the main Vauxhall dealers are buying off Ebay these days...

I would not mind paying for decent tyres but not for some obscure s**te.

Yes I may sound pissed off, and that because I am.

Having done 32K+ I would have expected the pillocks to have changed the FUEL FILTER as per service manual.

But they say they only change it after the FOURTH YEARLY SERVICE. which would mean the car having done around

47,000 mile without a filter change.

The bastards are even refusing to provide me with a copy of the service report. they say that's for internal use only because I've had the work done.

MOT done on Saturday, but I'm still seithing today

- Zozzer.

Reply to
Zozzer

*shudder*

I have a pair of Dark Horse tyres on my Marea (although they're branded 'Road Stone', rather than Jupiter).

They're on the rear, so not too much of an issue, but they do make it a little wayward in less than ideal conditions if you're pressing on.

60 quid sounds *way* too much for a non-brand tyre. What size are they?
Reply to
SteveH

In message , Zozzer writes

Yes mate, they are out of this world.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Sounds fishy.

I had Woosung Dark Horse tyres on a car a while back. hard as rock, useless in the wet (well, fun actually, but that's only cos it was an old RWD car ;-) and about the cheapest you can buy. I don't know whether they are the same thing though. (A quick Google suggests they are. Jupiter is a brandname of Woosung of Korea... )

If you paid for the work you've got a right to know what was done, surely! Take it up with the manager, or failing that the Area Manager, or even email snipped-for-privacy@vauxhall.co.uk . Main dealers should be very open and proper about stuff - thats one reason why they get away with sky high prices!

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I did a "Let's play in lots of cars" day at Silverstone a few years ago, which included a bit of autotesting in a Caterham - with "the shittiest tyres we could find" on the back to make it even more tail- happy.

They were Woosung Dark Horses.

Reply to
Adrian

Zozzer ( snipped-for-privacy@B2yonder.co) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Each? Not £60 for a set? Fuck Me Rotten.

I think you're being overly kind to them.

Reply to
Adrian

Mine were on a Carlton GSi. In the dry on a good surface it would easily spin them. In the wet, you couldn't *not* spin them.

Reply to
PC Paul

Wow ! We can supply and fit 225 40 18 tyres for less than that, Jupiter is one of the cheapest budget tyres available. If you tell me the size I will tell you how much they cost.

Reply to
Fred

Well, REALLY good 195/50R15 tyres are only about £50 fitted, so...

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Zozzer ( snipped-for-privacy@B2yonder.co) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

HR speed rating, at a guess - by the "15H" at the end.

etyres has Firestones or Bridgestones for a smidge over £50. Fitted. At home.

BlackCircles lists the Jupiters, for £46 fitted. Or Bridgestones for another fiver. Fitted. At home.

Did the £60 inc vat or exclude it? If it excluded it, they actually cost you £70. Plus valve/balancing/disposal?

You're damn near at Michelin Pilot money...

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Fred

There are plenty available in lesser brands, Firestone and Goodyear are also available.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks for all the help guys, but please dont get bogged down with just the price of the tyre. I'm not that bothered about the price. It's really matter of the tyre that came off the car are Firestone, a brand I had heard about and used in the past. However, Jupiter is a brand I've never heard of, so call me old fashioned but to me rightly or wrongly this automatically smacks me as cheap and nasty foreign imports that have less grip than the bubble in a spirit level.

And to make thing ultra s**te, the VAUXHALL MAIN DEALER did not even tell me what s**te he was fitting. Ok perhaps my unshaven appearance gave them the impression I was skint.

So the upshot is, would YOU trust these tyres is you had kids in your car.

- Zozzer

( I knew I should have bought a SKODA)

Reply to
Zozzer

Had some Jupiter tyres on the front of my RWD car that the previous owner put on. After 2 years I decided to change them as the tread hadn't gone down AT ALL - which isn't good really.

Didn't have any problems with them, no understeer or anything.

But found the handling improved 200% after getting a decent brand on there.

Reply to
Johnny

Eh?

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Fred

Some time ago I had 1 tyre replaced by a VX dealer at the service - was down to almost 2mm and I had the replacement costed-out at £75 all in (at Halfords)

I had asked for a tyre that exactly matched the ones on the car - Michelin MXV I think.

After a long conversation on the phone ref an exact match for the tyre, and stressing that I never, ever mix tyres on the same axle I agreed to let em fit one 'cos they wanted £75 all in (After all it would match the other wheels)

They fitted a Michelin Classic which I guess would have been alright but ten maybe not... .

Nonetheless they agreed to put the original one back on. I hadn't actually driven the car, I inspected it in the car park before going into the reception office and brought-up the subject there and then. (I think this was the days before Masterfit(?) appeared on the scene. I felt I was being charged enough to be able to have exactly what I wanted and had agreed to pay for.

Later got the MXV (or whatever it was) from Halfords for the same price as the VX dealer had quoted - Halfords price on the Classic was a tad less.

I always have a nose around the car when picking it up from a service, before going to the service desk, if I can spot it in the car park.

Reply to
R. Murphy

How much tread did the other tyre on that axle have left on it? You seem rightly fussy to ensure matched tyres on the same axle, but seem blissfully ignorant of whatever it was that led to only one tyre being down to 2mm??

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You are right, Fred. Unless one is driving in an *extreme* manner testing the tyre's capabilities to its limits, all comments about a tyre in respect of its tracking, cornering ability, aquaplaning even,....etc., etc. are clearly figments of one's imagination. Ordinary folks driving ordinarily, on ordinary roads, in my view, are perfectly catered for by all manners of tyres: no tyres are ever produced to endanger lives and limbs knowingly; the producers would be put to jail!

Now, if we are talking about racing sports, that is a completely different kettle of fish altogether......

Reply to
Lin Chung