Use of Jag. navigation system while driving

It is a nuisance that the Jaguar navigation system in my S-type (2000) can not be instructed while driving. Often the frontpassenger can do it without any safety risk. Would anybody know how to remove the limitation such that it can be used without having to park the car ? I would be grateful for your advise. Regards, Rob Boddeke

Reply to
Rob B.

It's a lot *more* of a nuisance when somebody who's distractedly messing about with the nav system crashes into someone else - like me.

I don't know and, even if I did, I wouldn't tell you. The temptation would be too great.

You have it. You're welcome.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; stopped to do that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Dear Rob,

I must agree with Mr Krieger, it is a huge liability to explain how to defeat this saftey interlock. You got that right, its a saftey interlock. Now it may not be implemented to protect you, but as Mr Krieger mentioned, it is designed to protect "us".

There are ways around this, but also be warned, that the computers on these cars also function very much like an airplanes "black box". In other words, it gathers information and this information can be used against you if an accident was to occour. Now is it really worth the risk? No.

Freedom, it is not as we might wish it.

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim

i use a laptop in my car while driving with voice sat nav and i dont consider it dangerous at all thats the whole point of sat nav in a car ? is it not more dangerous to drive about not knowing where you are going?

as for fiddling about with it while driving theres only one key to press to recalculate the route if you did get lost or stray from the sat nav route

so its no more dangerous than using a car radio of even winding the window up or down while driving

just seems stupid to have sat nav in a car that cant be used while driving :)

Reply to
andy emblow

You might not. I do.

One can always stop to figure it out or, in this case, reset a destination.

Not even that many. The X-Type system automatically recalculates.

It's not that it can't be *used*; it's that it can't be *reprogrammed* while the car is in motion. The interface is not all that intuitive and even the 'keyboard' display isn't arranged in a 'QWERTY' pattern, but is alphabetical! Try typing in a street name *on that* while you're driving ...

That was the original poster's wish. This is much *more* than opening a window or changing the radio station. In my (and Jaguar's) opinion, it is a dangerous distraction that can be, and properly is, prohibited.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

i understand now i have re read the the post and agree 100% its a dangerous thing to do type and drive :)

Reply to
andy

As the original poster of the query I like to react to the discussion sofar. My intention is not at all to enable the driver to 'reprogram' the sat nav while driving because I fully realize the safety hazard. The point I was making is that often the co-driver / frontpassenger could easily adjust or reprogram the system if it wasn't blocked. That was my starting point for my question how I could technically do that. Regards, Rob (a responsable and safety-conscious person !!)

"andy" schreef in bericht news:40b2689c$0$20510$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

Reply to
Rob B.

I understand that. I also understand temptation. It's not necessarily you that I mistrust to use this information properly; it's

*them*.

-- C.R. Krieger ("I know nossing!" - Schulz)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I have this system, and have asked dealers in numerous places about this and all say that it cant be done, the same app-lies to the TV as well above 5 kms hr.

suggest you ask on jagtalk.com in case you have better luck than me.

There are a few service techs on that ng that may have a better informed.

rgds,

Reply to
Iain Morrison