Purchasing an XJS

Once again Im wanting to buy an XJS for commuting. From what I have read these cars are simply meant to be driven. If driven more then 10 minutes to the corner store then the car will most likely be fine. I drive clost to 100 miles aday mostly on the expressway. Would that be enough. I know buy the latest model I can afford but is there anything I keep overlooking. I know maintence can be costly but are all XJS cars costly or just the ones not maintained. I know someone with the 6 cylinder that loves it, I want the 12 mainly for the 400+ miles highway driving trips on weekends.

Any help greatly appreciated

Reply to
jereme

Remember that the Ford purchase was in 1989, so try to get a car later than that. The great improvement in quality, believe it or not, came after the takeover.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin

Get one later than 1989. Friend of mine has an '89 XJ-12 Convertible and the thing has the Lucas electrical system. It's a bloody nightmare. They don't call Lucas the Prince of Darkness for nothing.

92 On is when the real changes happened. I also believe the Vandenplas were made in Germany, not the UK.
Reply to
Tony P.

Quite right. Obviously things didn't change overnight.

Nope, Jaguars are all made in England. In Coventry, in fact, except for the X-Type, which took over an unused Escort plant near Liverpool. There was some talk of assembling the S-Type in Wixom, Michigan, in the same plant as the Lincoln LS, with which it has a significant degree of commonality. But Jaguar came up with a substantial subsidy to renovate a body shop into an assembly plant for the car, so that (fortunately) didn't happen.

Anyway, the improvements in quality came from two sources:

  1. Access to different component suppliers, and
  2. Implementing quality techniques pushed by Ford.

Honest.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin

Thanks to all that replied so promptly. I actually like the style of the mid 80's but intended to get atleast an 1989 hopefully 1991 or later. One of the reasons I'm wanting a 12 cylinder rather then 6 is the habit of driving 80+ mph on the expressway. With Jaguars' being touring cars I wasnt to sure the smaller engines would handle well. Travelling in certain parts of the state I have even set the cruise at

100 (much to my surprise I have still been passed.)

Thanks again

Reply to
jereme

As I recall, the performance difference between the sixes and the twelves wasn't that great. And the six has the Le Mans tradition behind it. No, wait, that would be the later six, not the XJ, wouldn't it? Anyway, both engine configurations are in inherent primary and secondary balance (unlike, say, a V8), with the twelve presumably a bit smoother.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin

At this point in the car's lifetime, it all depends on the maintenance the individual car received. When it was made is of relatively little consequence. (After 15 years, Bosch and Lucas fail at about the same frequency '-) Parts for the later cars may even be harder to get since there were fewer of them made... but generally parts are not a problem for Jags (Welsh has everything!).

It is easier to work on the 6 cyl but then you end up driving a little old lady sedan... the torque curve of the 12 cyl is amazing even though the quoted HP is about the same. I have never driven a better hiway cruiser.

("Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races," - Sterling Moss)

Buy what you like. An XJ-S is totally impractical for a daily driver (speaking from years of experience... I do it) but you are not driving an XJ-S for practicality. That's reserved for Kias '-)

But XJ-Ss do not like sitting in a garage. They pine away and break if you don't use them at least 50-100 mi/wk.

Reply to
bill

I drove XJSs for years as Comany cars. Only one ever let me down, no-start from a loose connector at the ECM. Outstanding long distance cruiser, and in the right city a true "crumpet catcher". Later ones fit & finish are far better than the pre-92 models, but post '94 MY V12s less abundant in the States.

Reply to
Jerry McG

My 88 XJ-S V12 has been a dream to drive! As one other mentioned, the engine output is exciting and worth all the effort to obtain a good one. So far, the electronics haven't been a problem ... but the speedometer has been playing head games with me recently ... hope its not a sign of things to come. But, from a driver's perspective, I've never enjoyed driving any other car more than this one.

Rick Piatt

Reply to
RickPiatt