warning buzzer wont go off, all accessory panel items dead XJ40

Got into my car today with the warning buzzer blaring. It would not shut off. All of my intrument panel accessorys are out. The only things that work are my radio, headlights and heater. Nothing else, no hazards, turn signal, door lock, rear defrost, cruise control, etc.

Whats wrong and how do i fix it?

TIA!!

Reply to
Goomba

You are likely to need a wiring diagram for your car. You do not say what model it is. It seems that one of the main electrical feeds has failed. When you say the cruise control does not work are you also saying that the car starts and drives? More information would be necessary for troubleshooting. If you have a XJ6 (XJ40) around 1990 I might be able to help with a more complete list of symptoms such as what happens when you turn the ignition switch to each position and whether all exterior and interior lights work or not.

Lots of luck, Don Young EMail address is not valid. Reply to group only.

Reply to
Don Young

I have a 1991 XJ40 VDP. Im not certain the cruise control doesnt work, but when i enabled it none of the lights came on. The car does start and i can drive it. And i would, except my turn signals dont work.

All exterior lights seem to work, but turn signal and hazards do not. The only interior lights that work are the center map light and the lights above the picnic trays. The dash lights up as well as the heater lights.

Besides what works above, so does the following: sunroof, seatbelts, windows, mirrors, radio, horn, heater and i believe thats it.

I have checked all my fuses and they are all good.

I do have wiring diagrams out of Haynes, but i dont even know where to begin.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Been looking all over and cant find much information.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Goomba

That is good information and I will check my wiring diagrams to try to help. Do you have a meter or test light, preferably both? The Haynes wiring diagrams are useful but not complete enough for a problem like this. I have a couple of CD's with service manuals that include wiring diagrams but they are spread out over so many pages it takes a while to find anything. I will try to find a common point that could account for your symptoms. Someone else may have an idea also.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

i also have the service manuals on cd. let me know which pages so i can look at them with you. i cant make any sense of them. could this problem be caused by a master relay? i read this somewhere, but from looking through the wiring diagrams i cannot find any "master relay".

Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
Goomba

There is no "master relay" but there are a lot of relays and bad relays and their connections are possible trouble sources. I will get back to you on the manual pages. It seems that there are several editions of the manuals so the page numbers may differ. The two CD's I have are "JHM 1126" and "JHM

1154 version 1.1". Each manual section generally starts with a contents or index page. Look for section 91 for wiring diagrams. The master wiring diagram is very large and all diagrams are somewhat hard to follow as components are identified only by numbers and you have to go to the "KEY TO CIRCUIT DIAGRAM" page for each diagram to tell what each part is. It might be a good start for you to use a test light or meter to check which fuses are getting power when the ignition switch is ON. Get a notepad and write everything down as you check.

I will be in touch.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

It seems a fiddling of the wires fixed the problem. I have no idea why or how, but it works now thank god.

Reply to
Goomba

I can tell you why. Because it is a Jag

After a while of owning one, I have had mine for almost 10 years series 3 XJ

6, you will stop looking for logical explanations.

Cheers and happy fiddling

Reply to
Martin and Mellisa Rimmer

Glad it's working again. Your problem seemed to be related to the ignition switched power feed to the center fusebox or the central microprocessor. It was likely a bad connection where the microprocessor or other component plugs into the wiring harness. If it happens again check if all fuses in the center fusebox have power when the ignition is on and whether the microprocessor connections are all clean and tight. I think the microprocessor is under the dash near the center on the passenger side. Often unplugging and reconnecting things (including fuses) will fix these problems.

Best Regards

Don Young "Martin and Mellisa Rimmer" wrote in message news:Mo_If.9549$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Don Young

Looks like i spoke too soon. The problem seems to flicker, still trying to figure out whats what. The entry lights come on and off as well as the buzzer. So i am assuming that there is a connection problem somewhere in the door and/or the ignition. Something also strange happened, i went back to the car a few hours later and there was soapy water all over the floor. It looks like headlight wash went off on its own, cuz there are sprays on the car and the garage is soaked. Confused.

Reply to
Goomba