XJ6 Stalls from Road Bumps/Potholes

I have a problem with my 1997 XJ6 that has me stumped. The engine will momentarily cut out from bumps and potholes in the road. Occasionally the engine will actually die (restarts easily) but most times it just cuts out (RPMs drop off) and then continue running. The check engine light will come on briefly and go out

I figure that it is an electrical problem but I have had no luck figuring it out. I have checked over the wiring and grounding points, main electrical contacts, etc. but no luck.

Could it be the inertia switch?

Could it be a relay (there are so many)? What relay to suspect?

Any help would be appreciated. Tim Smith

Reply to
Pinball Parts Plus

Well, I figured this problem out. It was the "ECM Controlled Relay". If I tapped the relay with my finger the car would die. I was able to swap the connector with the relay next to it (both the same) and the problem went away. I have installed a new relay ($26 at dealer) and all is well with my XJ6 (X300).

Tim

Reply to
Pinball Parts Plus

Wow, I'm impressed, that sounded like it would be a really hard problem to track down.

Reply to
WayneC

Could it be lead sludge at the bottom of an old Battery? When it gets stirred up it may short out it out temporarily.

-flo.

Reply to
Florian Hentschel

Reply to
JimInsolo

It seems to me you have an intermittent connection in/at your engine management module. I would suggest disconneting and then reconnecting all cables involved. It is amazing to me how many times that has worked for me with electronic problems.

As an aside, my wife's Subaru would leave her stranded as she could not start it. It would crank, but not start. When I would show up to rescue her, the car would start normally; this would make her angry.

I finally took the vehicle to the dealer who replaced the crank sensor. All problems disappeared. I took the old crank sensor, which is just a coil that is energized by a passing magnet, and tested it electrically and via radiography looking for opens/shorts etc. I could not find anything wrong. I now suspect the cable connection. Alas, $160 later is too late to experiment. I wish I had known about this earlier as all I would have done was unmate/mate the connector and I am fairly certain this would have solved my problem.

Al

Reply to
Al

Al, The CPS is a squirrelly item at best and to date, I have yet to find anyone who can accurately test them to assure they are working properly in a real time application. (At least without extremely sophisticated test equipment).

My other comment is that you need to learn to stay away from the dealership. A CPS should cost between $50 and $60 (USD) and in MOST cases is a 5 minute job to replace on the XJ40. (There are exceptions). I carry a spare with me in the boot with a 5mm Allen wrench because you never know when it will go out on you and cause terrible despair.

Webserve

Occasionally

Reply to
webserve