XJ 8 Difficulty starting from cold.

Recently it's been difficult starting from cold. The engine has to be turned over more than double the normal time, before it'll start and the accelerator has to be used to keep it running above 500rpm, otherwise it'll stall. Have looked at the MAF & Temperature sensors, but they "look" clean and undamaged. The MIL lights don't show any problem. Otherwise the car is running OK. It's just the bad starting from cold. The car is based in Scotland, with an average temperature recently, in the middle 40f degree range. Can anyone throw some light on it. Also can anyone recommend some reasonably priced diagnostic tool for this model, using a Laptop.

1998 XJ 8 3.2 sport
Reply to
john

All gas engines need extra fuel to start when they're cold. (Don't we all?) Depending on which fuel injection system is used on the engine that additional fuel is dependent upon temperature sensors, sometimes a thermo-time relay and an electric cold start fuel injector.

Looking at them only confirms that they are connected, nothing else.

A shop that understands the system used on your engine should be able to trouble shoot this in a few minutes, but only when the engine is stone cold.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Hi,

Check the ECU, if it is that it is NOT cheap.

Regards

I Love Tarts

P.S. I am on my 5th Jaguar (currently XK8 Soft top)

Reply to
I Love Tarts