xj140 brakes

Hi,

Being new to this car, it is a 1988 xj 140, I think that is what my dad said, I bought it from him not too long ago and while he did tons of work on it, very successfully, I now have to change the brake pads, according to that big blinking light, and wouldn't you know that he and mom are sunning themselves in Antigua for the month.

Soooooo....

If anyone would care to help me a little bit, how long do I have left on the present pads? And, being a amateur to things mechanical that don't involve wood, is it fairly straightforward to change the pads myself?

Thanks.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Clark

Geoff, If your pads are getting low, then on the '88 you should have a warning coming up saying your brake pads are low. It will be steady if the pads are low, not intermittent. This means one of 2 things: either your pads ARE low (steady)or the sensor wire to the pad has been damaged (intermittent). In any case, you still have a bit of driving left on the pads, but you should start to make preparations for changing them out. You have to determine if the pads have the round connectors or the square connectors. Jag made two different types in '88. You can also order by the VIN when you order from the parts store and they should supply you with the correct ones. Most of us have just cut the connectors off and solder the wires to the ones coming from the car when we change pads. That way we don't worry which connector or whether the guys at the parts store actually put the right pads in the box!! You probably can use the same rotors. If you decide you need to do rotor work, then you must replace the rotors. There is not enough metal on the rotor to have them turned. Rotors are only about $40 each and turning them is $20 each so it really isn't worth it anyway. When it comes time to change the pads, DO NOT force the piston back into the caliper without opening the system. If you do, you will be forcing nasty brake fluid back into the ABS valves and creating a possible problem. It is always wise to bleed all four lines and flush the system anyway. Go out and by a litre of fresh DOT 4 -- NOT DOT 3 brake fluid and flush the system. On the '88, you should do this with the engine running since the pump is belt driven -- unlike the later 90+ models.

All in all, the brakes on this car are really no more difficult than any other car. Remember that you have 4 sensors, one on each set of pads on each wheel and if you still have a warning after the pad is changed, it means the wires are broken.

Cheers Webserve "Geoff Clark" wrote in message news:8hoJb.52739$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...

Reply to
Webserve

It is an XJ40, not 140. No big deal unless you want to buy a Service Manual.

Really good Idea if you plan on doing any work yourself n the car. Haynes sells one at a reasonable price. Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel