XJ40 Bulb failure messages (undbelievably another thread!)

Morning all, from Stinking Hot Australia! (not that I'm complaining)

Bulb failure messages! There have been so many threads about this or containing this and other stuff. I have such a problem and thought it might be useful to bring the info to date together once more and seek further info. Apologies if this is old hat to some; it may hep others.

An important point to realise is that the bulb failure system on an XJ40 is very sophisticated. The condition of all the external bulbs is monitored *even when they are not on!* This is achieved by a group of computerised modules (someone described them as "one at each corner of the car") keeping an eye on the resistance of the bulb circuits using a very low current (and thus voltage, not on as in 12 V). Any failed bulb or circuit will not give a reading within the limits and the failure module signals a fault, even when "off". Of course, the iginition has to be on in order for the whole system to be energised.

The small current used in this test is intentionally low enough for eg corroded bulb contacts or even out of spec globes to give the failure signal. Dry joints in the BFM modules themselves can do the same thing. The most common cause is likely to be an actual bulb failure, perhaps a side repeater, one of the number plate lamps, or a bulb overlooked in checking, such as the boot lighting.

So, the first thing is the check every external bulb (including reverse lamps, blinkers and brake lamps) and the boot lighting, that each globe is OK, and then clean its contacts and the receptacle contacts. Note that this must include the fog lamps on the rear. If they are not fitted to the front then dummy resistors are fitted in blank plugs. My plugs/sockets are yellow and contain normal 1 K 1/8 watt resistors (one to each side). Readings of 1K plus or minus 10% are OK - it's not that critical because bulb filaments are not dead accurate anyway - hence the reasonable tolerance.

I suggest all these things first, because working on the BFM modules involves a little awkward dismantling and then a sure hand with a fine soldering iron. The modules are labelled "Bulb Relay Module" or suchike. They are a slab shape smaller than a paperback book and in the rear they are bolted to the interior edges of the boot, behind the bulb modules and behind the carpet. One screw off the carpet and pull forward to reveal the module. After unplugging and removing the module, straighten the tabs on the soft aluminium cover and prise off. A printed circuit board bearing relays and other components will be revealled. This board is notorious for "dry" joints. If you are not sure what a dry joint is, then you may be doing the wrong job yourself! Any competent electronics enthusiast or technician should be able to help. Anyway, reflow suspect joints using a fine soldering iron. I think a check of the diodes with an ohm-meter is in order at this stage. They can be tested in circuit. Should be a low resistance one way - very high (or infinity) the other. They are apparently 1N4007 or similar. Very cheap. In an average of 50% of cases this will clear the trouble. Or else move on to the front modules. They are similar in shape and mounted just above and behind the headlamps. Removal is much more fiddly. Disconnect battery negative (after being sure you have any re-activation codes for the audio!). For the right hand side, unbolt and push aside the extrenal relay bank (A/C etc). The bulb relay module is connected by two easy to remove (one black one yellow) connectors, plus a connector to the rear of the headlamp (fiddly to put back - just pull off to remove). One more connection and that is a black wire to the earth, bolted to the frame. It's quite fiddly to get to that and handy to have a magnetic pickup tool to retrieve it when you drop it! Note that there are other connecting tags to that bolt. Should now be able to unbolt and remove the bulb relay (failure) module. Removal of the cover is as before. You will find that inside there is again a printed circuit board, but also another mounted to the top as well. This can be prised off and all contacts on both boards checked for dry joints and once again diodes as well. Replace cover and press in tabs slightly as before. Re-attach the earth wire (*very* important and very fiddly), the headlamp connector (very fiddly - have to work by feel), and then reattach the two connectors. It's so fiddly that I think it is worth checking after doing one, in case that clears it.

Apparently, the vast majority of bfm faults will be cleared by one of the above. Well, here's the rub. I've done all these things and

*still* I have the rogue warning signal! So, in case you were thinking "he's obviously an expert" by now, you can see that I'm obviously not! I would appreciate any input beyond the above!

Hope the above will help some... and that someone will help me!

Regards to all Alan

Reply to
alan4spamoffd

Too bad that "very sophisticated" US $2K+ bulb failure system isn't even smart enough to point at the problem lamp! Seems to me like it's actually pretty danged stupid, considering it's price. Even the old American cars of the fifties were smarter: if your dash lights went out and the fuse was OK, you pretty much knew a tail light was burnt out. If a front turn signal light went out, well, hopefully you don't turn in front of oncoming traffic so close up that they'll crash into you if they don't see your signal and jam on their brakes! On the Jag, you not only don't know what went out, front, rear, or side, but you have to trouble-shoot and second-guess the failure monitoring system too!

When do you get the failure warning on your car? Mine (89 XJ40) is random, but mostly associated with applying the brakes and/or the left turn signal... I'll get one normal turn signal cycle (2 clicks) and then the clicking speed doubles (which is the normal audible part of the failure alert) and the dash warning appears, and often the turn signals also stop blinking at that point (but not always). It does not happen every time I use the left turn signal.

As I previously stated on another thread, I have done pretty much everything suggested, more than once. That includes renewing all the rear bulbs except for license bulbs, cleaning the bulb sockets, resoldering all the joints in the rear BFM's, swapping the rear BFM's side-to-side, and replacing the left rear BFM with a used BFM.

All my lights are operable (ie, no burnt bulbs), except the left rear turn signal sometimes stops operating (both bulbs) when I have this failure warning (sometimes it doesn't, but the error warning still shows on the dash and the click speed doubles). I haven't changed the front turn signal bulbs because the turn signals don't neccessarily need to be on when I get the problem (it can happen with the brake lights on), so I assume it's associated with the rear; but, I have had the warning pop on when I'm simply cruising steady-state on the freeway (rarely, but it HAS happened), therefore I intend to change out the front turn signal bulbs too.

snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au wrote:

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Don, I am not sure how one does this on something like the wiring harness that goes to the BFM's. Could you expand on that a bit? There are a lot of wires in all those BFM connectors, and knowing which ones carry switched current and which are ground (and when) is difficult to determine, not to mention that you have no idea whether a particular wire is connected to something else in the electrical system upstream of where you are testing. And what are you looking for, a dim glow from the test stoplight bulb?

Some very obscure problems can be due

Here again, I am a bit unclear... "socket" usually refers to a bulb base connector, but I'm guessing you didn't mean a bulb base... do you mean the harness connector's female side? The pins can be difficult to measure when they are encased inside a plastic connector housing.

BTW, one other thing I tried that bugs me... I tested both rear fog light sockets and got no power reading at either, with or without the foglight dash switch activated (but, as I write this, although I think I did, I am not positive I tested with the ignition both off and on, so I need to revisit that test). I thought I might also try disconnecting the harness from those fog lamps (at the BFM end, if possible) to see if that affects anything.

Reply to
WayneC

All the time. Have had a double speed blink sound too (but ther actual blinks were normal), on TWO bfms, but swapping out to a third cured that. Still have the failure warning signal though.

Reply to
alan4spamoffd

Reply to
Don Young