XJ40 Gearbox is gone mental!!!

I started the car and heard the might engine fire up just fine and then I put it into drive. Fine so far. As I left my drive and noticed that I was not changing gear and found that it was not shifting up past second even tho I am in normal Drive. It did this for a while and I thought ohno.I need the car tonight but anyway I drove to the petrol station and switched off.prayed to the might Xj40 maker in the sky and started up again. It did it again stuck between 1st and 2nd. But after a shifting gears it did work go back to normal. I have noticed that it does improve once the Tranni heats up to temp.

So any idea. IS this s simple case of changing the fluid and filter ?

many thanx

Tom

Reply to
Tom Kelly

Well, thats your first move. I'm going something similar with my 93 XJ-S. This has the 6 cyl engine and ZF 4-sp auto trans. Started 'slipping' and not shifting cleanly. I drained the fluid and dropped the transmission pan, only to find about 1/4" of 'crud' in the bottom, and a blocked filter. Replaced filter and fluid, cleaned everything, and it works fine now - but for how long I wonder ?

In your case, I'd certainly change the fluid and filter, and see if there is clutch material (or worse: metal shavings) in the pan.. It seems that trasmission service is either very cheap (about $50 for fluid/filter) or very expensice (about $2500 for rebuild), with nothing in-between !!!

Good luck !

Reply to
Jeremy Bell

jeremy snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeremy Bell) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Jeremy,

I don't know where you are from, but there is a great racket going on with Jaguar wreckers in Australia. They buy low mileage XJ40/X300's in fron Asia and strip them for parts. It's quite easy to pick up a good low miles motor/trans assembly for $2,500 AUD :-)

That makes the AJ6 and 4 speed auto cheap to maintain, as parts for the mechanicals can be expensive.

Ron

Reply to
Ron McGrice

Jeremy,

What you are experiencing is *not* mechanical, it is electrical.

What I would recommend is that you look at the electrical connector down at the transmission to see if it has - Broken or frayed wires, oil contamination, or just a lousy connection.

What is happening is the computer is sensing some err like an open solenoid and then disables the transmission control. This defaults the transmission into 2nd gear until the cause for this condition is found and rectified. I have beaten this problem by starting at the transmission and working up the harness. In fact one car had this same problem reoccur and it turned out to be a valve cover bolt leak. The oil was finding its way into the harness connector and the rest is obvious. Cleaned the connector, fixed the leak, and the rest was history.

Now another poster spoke of 1/4" of crud blocking his filter - that crud is the friction material of severely worn clutch disks. Yes he was able to restore system pressure and reduce slippage, but the wear is still the same. It needs to be rebuilt before something scatters. I am sure he is watching it closely.

Good Hunting,

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim