XJ40 Roof-lining

Hello Group,

The roof-lining on my Xj40 Sovereign has sagged quite badly, and I wondered if anyone knows a way to fix it. I've tried removing the plastic trims but they seem very fragile and I have broken one of them.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kind Regards

Dave Wilkinson

Reply to
David Wilkinson

david winch

Hi Dave,

This is a common problem with Jaguars. I have had this problem in a 1978 XJS SII and in my current 1987 XJS.

The Headlining is composed of a a foam backed woollen material that is glued to a shell. When the car gets very hot the foam dries out and goes brittle. When it is touched, this crushes the foam and it crumbles. This then results in the lining material sagging. A number of people have had varying degrees of success gluing this back in place but unless the glue completely bonds the lining material with the shell, the foam will let go again. The only repair is the replacement of the headlining. A search around for a Good Automotive Upholsterer will pay in the long run. Good Luck

Chris

David Wilk>Hello Group,

Reply to
Chris Halpin

Thank you both for your replies,

Kind Regards Dave Wilkinson

Reply to
David Wilkinson

Echoing previous replies, there is no solution other than to install a new headlining. DON`T try gluing it (or the new one) with spray glue, because that will not work. You must use a proper impact, traditional, adhesive. Peter

Reply to
<peterhugo

I have had limited success using an iron to reactivate the bonding on my '40 but on my ol' Rangy I took the lining out used a staple gun in a pre drawn line and glued trimmer's piping to cover the staple's

Another thing suggested in a book about car interiors is to use Wondaweb by bonding a fabric material to the hard surface using spray fixative (3M) a strip down the middle to get your pattern straight and then successive strips to allow a taut yet finished look, I know wondaweb is pretty strong if done right and if you look in the right place is as cheap as chips.

Ian

Reply to
ancient one