XJ8 Starting Problem and Backfiring

I bought an XJ8 a few weeks ago. No problems until now. The engine used to start up first time every time but not since the battery went
dead over night. I disconnected the battery and recharged it. The battery was fully charged and the engine turned when I turned the key but it would not start.
I joined a Jaguar site and it was suggested that it could have been the NIKASIL problem. It was .... I got it going by taking the plugs out, squirting a small amount of oil in each cylinder. I put it all back together and after about 30 seconds of trying it burst into life. It ran great for about 5 miles! It then had a warning come on "Engine Stalled" or something like that. I was in a dangerous position on the road and I just managed to park safely never mind read the display. It will not start again, all I get is what sounds like a backfire back up through the throttle body and a refusal to start. Itís not even trying to start. Has anyone got any ideas please?
‚úĖ
What codes do you get? pulled the plugs? Fouled/Wet? CPS is clean and connections checked?
Blake
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Hi Blake, you asked ....

I donít know what you mean by codes, what do I have to do to see them? The plugs were dry but sooty, over rich mixture I guess. They were new plugs only just replaced them after the last no start problem. I donít know what the CPS is either. Do you mean have I checked the CPS connections or all connections in general under the hood?
I only bought the car 6 weeks ago and the first problem happened about 4 weeks ago. This Jag was a replacement for the car I have just sold. I hadnít even read the drivers handbook until now.
Can you please tell me if there is any workshop manual I can get to look at? I have a kind of manual at the moment but it is on CD. It is a Jaguar Technical Service Publication ..... no trouble shooting guide like so many others that I have looked at for other makes of cars. There is lots of information but I donít know where to look yet.
Thanks , Ozzy
‚úĖ
On 28 Feb 2005 14:23:22 -0500, Ozzy <UseLinkToEmail@New & Used Cars Forums - AutoForumz.com> wrote:

Ozzie,
Possibly your fuel pump is a goner. Hey - maybe that's why your battery went dead in the first place. These things sometimes die a lingering death, making one think it's something else - mine did!
Happy Trails To You
Add pictures here
‚úĖ