XJS 90' engine stall

Hi, I have a jag XJS 1990 convertible 55000 miles runs very good, but engine stall after being running for 4 or 5 miles. then I need to wait several hours to start it again, It just start happening few days ago. I live in Miami and is very hot around here I don't know if that may affect.I will apprecciate any suggestion. Thanks Wash

Reply to
wash

There certainly might be other causes but these symptoms can be caused by vapor lock (fuel boiling in lines or pump), restricted fuel supply due to clogged filter, lines, pump, or pump screen, or by fuel starvation due to clogged venting system for the fuel tank. It is also commonly caused by a defective ignition coil or solid state ignition components which fail under high temperature. About the only easy thing to try would be to loosen the fuel cap to see if it is a tank vent problem. Your next approach would be to see if the engine is not starting due to lack of ignition or lack of fuel. Try lifting the hood (bonnet) to let the engine cool faster.

Good Luck, Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Hello,

I know this is an old post but...

I would first check and clean your crankshaft position sensor. I have even bought dry ice and taped it onto the fuel injection ECU once; it got me out of a bad situation!

The sad truth is that if you are not technically inclined and motivated you can really get beat up by a V-12. Without a factory or high end shop manual you wont have the specifications and procedures to test for diagnosis.

Try this: Take a analog volt meter with you next time (about $8) you go out for a drive, and when it dies hook that meter up to your coil leads. If you don't see the needle bouncing when your try to start your engine then go to the next step. Unplug a fuel injector connector connect your volt meter and watch for needle bounce when trying to start your car. If yes then you have an ignition issue however your crank position sensor is working so you could rule that out. If it did not bounce then you might have a bad crank position sensor or bad ECU.

If you have ignition and fuel bouncing your needle, then look at fuel relay, pump, and ECU pump signal.

F.W.I.W. Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Thank you Don, Thank you Blake for your suggestions So far I changed the following: Ignition coils, both fuel pressure regulator, Fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel strainer inside of sump Tank. and still the engine stall out of the blue. I was Looking for the crank shaft sensor, I couldn't find it, Give me some tips about the location. Thanks Washington.

-- Message posted using

information at

wash

Is this a V12 by chance? If so that engine should be fitted with Marelli ignition, which is famous for corrosion (Green stuff). One on the front pulley and the other right behing the fuel rail.

Six cylinder units are on the front pulley.

Ciao

Reply to
Blake Dodson