1500 Silverado - start but cuts off

I am having a problem with my 2002 1500 Silverado - 5.3L - V8 - with

170K miles. It will start easily but cuts off after idling for a few minutes. You cannot put it in gear without stalling and even a light touch to the gas will also stall it, Plugs and gas filter were changed several months ago which improved a driveability problem. Several days before it stopped running, it began to make a loud whistling sound which I could only hear when the truck was idling. Any suggestion where to start diagnosing this problem?. Thanks K in NC
Reply to
K in NC

try a fuel pressure test and see where it leads you.

Reply to
boxing

I'd start searching for a vacuum leak first off.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

,

I don't know if an 02 GM 5.3 uses a Mass air-flow or a MAP system, but I've had a bad MAP sensor give exactly that behavior. A vacuum leak would similarly confuse a MAF system so yeah, I'd say look for a vacuum leak. A big one- maybe in the PCV hose or the power brake booster. You can disconnect the power brake booster vacuum line and cap it to rule out the booster itself- if the truck idles and responds to the throttle, you found the problem.

Reply to
Steve

I would say vacuum for sure. That will explain the whistling sound

Reply to
xserik

If it's really whistling, and not the whirring death squeal from a failing in tank fuel pump. A fuel pressure gauge would confirm a problem there pretty quickly if it shows barely enough pressure to idle and then drops significantly when the injector pulse width increases.

Reply to
Pete C.