00 TJ How to remove Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) fittings

How do I remove the "air inlet fitting" and "fixed orifice fitting" part of the CCV system on a year 2000 TJ. My service manual shows these parts in chapter 25 Emission control systems page 27 figure 5.

These 2 parts appear to be pluged into a rubber grommet that is itself pluged into the top of the cylinder head cover.

Manual section 9 Engine page 97 mentions these parts but does not say how to remove them from the cylinder head cover.

I don't want to just start prying them out with screw driver in case I break them.

I want to remove "air inlet fitting" and "fixed orifice fitting" to clean the part and to see if I can stop oil from creeping out from under the grommet and spreading over the top of the cylinder head cover.

Reply to
greenjoytj

greenjoytj did pass the time by typing:

They are keyed. You have to turn them "just right" to pop them out and with a stiff rubber gromit it's a pain. Got mine out by lifting and turning slowly till the holes lined up. Even then it took quite a bit of pulling. If I remember correctly you point the open end back towards the firewall then wiggle side to side as you lift.

Reply to
DougW

DougW proclaimed:

If they are very old, the grommet tends to harden pretty bad, easier to put them back in if you pick up a new one at a dealer/parts.

Reply to
Lon