Re: Removing CCV for cleaning

The front one turns 90 degrees to come out, the cover is slotted. I have never removed the back one, but it is likely the same. The pipe on the back one just pulls out on mine. My pipe was blocked up bad. I soaked it in carb cleaner for a while and used a chunk of wire to ream the crap out.

Mike

Peter Parker wrote:

> I'm new to Jeeps. I have a 4.0L engine and want to remove the CCV for > cleaning. There is an L shaped pipe out of the grommet in the back on > top of the valve cover. That must be the CCV from doing google searches. > This is really hard to remove. I tried using screwdrivers but I am only > going to do damage unless someone has info how these guys get removed. > I also want to remove the front pipe to the air cleaner so I can clean > that. > > Any help or suggestions? > > Thanks. > > -- > > snipped-for-privacy@zero.com Replace nospam with jetta to reply via e-mail
Reply to
Mike Romain

Would you please follow up on the 'right' way to remove them?

I am more than curious, have only removed one front one from a 92 and it turned 90 deg. to remove.

Mike

Peter Parker wrote:

e-mail

e-mail

Reply to
Mike Romain

This is for a 4.0L 6 cyl. The CCV elbow is the rear elbow on top of the valve cover. The air intake elbow (looks the same but hollow) is in the front. I had to take a visegrip wrench on both and break them off. The grommets are the same part number for each and they were take off using channel locks. All the old parts were destroyed and then I cleaned off the baffles inside with a screw driver and vaccuum cleaner so nothing fell inside.

The CCV elbow was totally caked and the open elbow up front has a nice crusty layer of caked sludge.

BTW, the CCV elbow stayed intact because it is more solid with a small hole. I still chucked to old one and will be maintaining the one I bought.

e-mail

e-mail

Reply to
Peter Parker

Ok....

But are the grommets or the cover slotted so turning them the right way lets them come out or are the holes round and you just pop the suckers out or the new ones in?

I am talking the 4.0.

What year is yours?

Mike

Peter Parker wrote: