12 VOLT IMPACT WRENCH

Does anybody know of a high quality and powerful 12 volt impact wrench? I want one to run directly off the battery in a vehicle or cigarette lighter - the portable 12 v tools from dewalt and others are not what i need.

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Dunno if they meet your call for high quality or powerful but I noticed these in the Harbor Freight catalogue this morning and they do meet your call for plugging into the cigar lighter. (Full disclosure: I have no financial interest in Harbor Freight beyond being an infrequent customer.)

1/2" drive, 150 ft/lbs torque, 30 to 40 blows per minute, connects to cigar lighter, $40.

1/2" drive, 150 ft/lbs torque, 10 to 20 blows per minute, connects to cigar lighter, $20.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I cannot see a lighter one having enough power. I think it would be 'light duty'. I would be thinking it needs one with battery clips to draw more for more punch to be strong enough.

Mike

Mike Romain

I bought a 1/2 inch battery powered 16v i think snap on it was expensive but it comes in handy on the trails.. It takes seconds to take tires off!!

Reply to
J. Sprauer

I have looked for a battery powered impact wrench for some time. These cheaper guns (150 lbs range) don't seem to hold up. I got a Harbor Freight gun last year and it didn't do a very good job. I like to use mine in the junk yards pulling parts. I found the Dewalt 18 volt is about as nice as I can get for any money. Takes off almost all nuts and bolts. Not bad for on trail repairs either. Only problem, I have found that I need 2 or 3 batteries if I'm going to work on a front end issue while on the trails.

But not bad. One of the best buys I every made!

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

i forgot to say its 1200 ft lb torque too!!

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Can you tell me what the model number is for a 16-18 volt impact wrench that has 1200 ft lb of torque?

I've got to get me one of these!!!

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

You sure you got that right ? Snap-on's offering seems to be 240lb/ft.

1200lb/ft would require a 1" square drive surely .....

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

yeah its at my house.. il get the model number tonight for you

Reply to
J. Sprauer

this is what i have

sorry correction on the torque..my snap on rep has a flyer that says "1000 lb of nut bustin torque" thatswhere i got my number sorry bout that

Reply to
J. Sprauer

> sorry correction on the torque..> my snap on rep has a flyer that says "1000 lb of nut bustin torque" thats> where i got my number sorry bout that

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

looks a handy tool !

Dave

_ID=16217&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog sorry correction on thetorque..

Reply to
Dave Milne

it comes in great on the trails!!

> _ID=16217&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog sorry correction on the> torque..

Reply to
J. Sprauer

I know its not what your looking for but I have a CO2 bottle for tire inflation on the Jeep. It was pretty low cost since I put it together myself using parts from a beverage supply place in San Diego. Now I can and do use my air impact tools to do whatever I want. 15lb CO2 bottles have enough liquid CO2 to fill 4-35" tires from 8lbs to 22 lbs six or seven times at least. I know its not 12v but Ican run circles around a 12v impact wrench.

Reply to
Rich

If you are going to that much trouble why not get an old SurviveAir or ScottPak bottle. The SurviveAirs working pressure is 2200 psi and 1800 for the Scott.

Fire/Rescue services run all their air tools off them through a regulator. You can get them refilled at your local Scuba shop for a nominal fee or (perhaps free) at your local firehouse for a small tax deductible donation or a 12 pack.

Reply to
billy ray

The reason you use CO2 is because air cannot be compressed into a liquid in a scuba or scottpak even at those pressures. Because of this, more molecules of CO2 can be stored at a much lower (read safer) pressure in a CO2 bottle than molecules of air into a scottpak. This means more volume of gas comes out the hose. Which equates to more tires and tool usage than an air compressed system. Specops guys use oversized air saws powered by CO2 and have been proven to last WAY longer than air systems. There are even regulators that have been developed to prevent freezing during prolonged use since gasses can create considerable icing when changing from liquid to gas. So as you can see, air doesn't work as well. I paid around $100 for my setup without the hose. Refills cost me around $10 when I go to an airgas shop and they are free when I see my firefighting buddies at the local firefighting school. I usually don't have to fill it very often. so cost is minimal. I know it costs more in the long run over an underhood compressor, but I can fill my tires twice as fast as my buddy with a york compressor. By the time my other friend has his first tire half full on his 12v compressor, I've filled mine and the other three of his.

Reply to
Rich