TWELVE (12) volt engine BLOCK heater?

Hi Group:
I park my car outside up here in Minne-SNOW-ta. I do not have access to a std onetwenty (120) volt elect outlet. However, I could
tote a deep-cycle 12v battery out to the car maybe 15 minutes before I want to start. Does anybody make a TWELVE (12) volt BLOCK heater?
TIA
Wm.(Bill) Warning wrote:

If you are going to go to the trouble of hauling a battery out to the car, simply take out the car's battery and heat it up in a bath of warm water. It will then start the car easily no matter how cold it is outside, especially if you switch to synthetic oil.
There are propane fired engine block heaters available that plumb into the cooling system, if you insist on having the engine heated without access to 120VAC.

I think it's a lot easier just carrying and plugging-in a second battery than removing/replacing the regular duty battery at minus -30F degrees below zero with a 25mph north wind!

Yup, that synthetic oil really helps; I use Mobil 0W - 30

Way cool, I mean hot. Where do I get one of these propane block heaters?

A normal (in Sweden) block heater is over 500W. That would require about 42A @ 12V, which would probably drain your battery when it is cold.
You would probably be better off with a real heater like:
http://www.webasto-thermo.com /

Thomas

Tom, you did NOT fully understand/read the question. The battery used to pre-warm the engine is NOT cold; it is a separate DEEP-CYCLE battery toted out from a WARM townhouse.

I doubt it.

And it will take a couple of hours to nicely pre-heat that engine.
A couple of hours of 42amps? How big a battery are you hauling?
FWIW, I haven't plugged a car in in about 20 years. Modern (ish) ignitions and oils, etc.....
Steve Ottawa

Don't need to "nicely" pre-heat the engine, just need to nudge it up a small amount (10 -15 degrees). The engine is in pretty good shape, but the operator will be a car-challenged woman. She can handle a simple plug-in, but jumper cables is expecting too much.
Ottawa? That's the tropics compared to Minne-SNOW-ta. We are more like Onterio, dark, 30F below, higher wind.

ignitions
small
jumper
Then you phrased your question improperly.. You said "I" in your post, not "a car-challenged woman".
It's suggested that you have 150 watts per liter of engine size so assuming a smaller engine of 2 liters you'll need 300 watts of power and with a 12 volt battery you would be drawing 25 amps. The most expensive NAPA marine gel battery you can purchase (for $329) has a reserve capacity of 450 minutes. The cheapest deep cycle would be $159 and has a reserve of 175 minutes.
If she can't even hook up jumper cables, how is she going to connect the battery to heat the car or to charge the battery? It sounds like you're giving her too much credit. Anyone can plug in a 110 electrical outlet. Why rule out the easy route? Plus she's going to have to tote this battery to and from the warm townhouse. If I were her, I'd be pissed at you if you made me do that every day. Spend the money and save your "car-challenged woman" a lot of hassle and headache.
-Bruce

Like the man said, sometimes electrical outlet just isn't an option. Not everyone gets to park their car in their driveway or even on the street in front of their house, you know.
Jasper
Jasper Janssen wrote:

You are replying to a thread from last October man.... Slow News server? ;-)
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Nope, it's just me that's slow.
Okay, real reason: I'm working through the archive of unread messages seeing if there's anything interesting there, and my newsserver has a truly unholy retention span.
Jasper
Jasper Janssen wrote:

LOL!
I got used to opening the messages up as one thread each because I got 8 month old ones as new all the time when I was on the Rogers@Home cable system and would get caught like that when everything caught up late.
I went DSL and have recent stuff now....
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Or good news post retention!
Like mine has and got me in trouble like that!
LOL
Refinish King

Not
in
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Wm.(Bill) Warning wrote:

I still contend that in proper condition with a good battery and large-gauge battery cables, and with the proper starting procedure for the car in question, there should be no problem with the car starting for even a car-challenged woman on 30-below days,

It's "Ontario", and Ottawa is located there.
DS

Ottawa, Ontario. Dark doesn't matter. 30C below. Wind doesn't matter either.

I had a similar heating system on my SAAB 900, but it used gasoline. Worked like a charm.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Wm.(Bill) Warning wrote:

I have lived and driven in very, very, very cold places. While there is no substitute for a preheated engine, the benefits in a vehicle in proper repair aren't so much about fast starts, but are more along the lines of immediate heater output and reduced severity of cold-engine operation side effects. I was able to get going routinely in subzero weather in vehicles with carburetors and points-condenser ignition systems; a vehicle with fuel injection and high-energy electronic ignition usually starts easier under extreme conditions.
There's no such thing as a 12V engine block heater, that I'm aware of. Good thing, too -- such a device would take HUGE amounts of current and would exhaust just about any battery you could "tote" long before bringing the block to any kind of usefully increased temperature.
An engine heat retention blanket or a propane-fired engine heater is your best non-120VAC option, or you could simply spend the effort and money on putting your car into the condition required for reliable starts at extremely cold ambient temperatures.
DS

No kidding....until you phrased it like that, it hadn't dawned on me.
All the _energy_ he'll need to raise the temperature of a cast iron engine block, heads and everything else, in a Minnesota winter....he'll have to *carry*, in one go. Ugh. Hope it isn't icy.
Get some 0W-30, fresh plugs, and clean injectors.
Steve Ottawa Gets cold here, too, eh?

It isn't very difficult to add an outdoor outlet. All you need is an electrician for about $150 or so. Then you can use that electric heater.
Try the synthetic oil. Worked great in my snowblower. Before it I had to use electric start but after I could use just pull start to get it going.