Conversion 6 volt to 12 Volt for backup engine

I have a 1965, 6 volt engine. I want to rebuild it and use it as a spare for my 12 V KG & Bug. Besides the flywheel and generator/alt, what else would I need to change?

Reply to
Mel P.

Nope. Can't put an ordinary 12V flywheel on that 6V crank. There may be some crossover flywheels but they are scarcer than hens' teeth.

Change: Coil Carb solenoid and choke. Oil stand (to accept new 12V whatever). Pressure plate (assuming your 12V KG uses later style TO bearing).

To get around the flywheel issue, keep the 6V one and install

6V starter (the teeth must match) AND change the pinion bush in the bellhousing. Run 6V starter on 12V.

See the 6V/12V article on my web site for more info.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

IIRC, and I don't work on that many air cooled VWs anymore since they are really scarce here nowadays. :-( Some of the 6V Busses had a 200mm flywheel AFAIK, and yes I believe that they are scarce. I believe that those flywheels had the correct amount of teeth for the starter.

Are you sure the 12V flywheel won't fit on the 1965 6V crank? Maybe on the

1966 Crank (different engine though)? WHY? Is it because the 6V flywheel might use a gasket and the 12V uses an O-Ring to seal with the crank.

The top of the carb may need to be changed due to the 12V choke being larger.

If $$$ is no object the early Porsche 912s and late 356s had a smaller diameter generator that should fit on the VW 6V generator stand.

Old but still try>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Some '66 cranks will accept the 12V flywheel. But not '65. It's not the gasket but the shape of the crank end; one has a step, the other not (over-simplified).

OTOH, the 6V flywheel *will* fit on the 12V cranks!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

lol ok thanks Jim

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Mel,

When you convert your VW form 6 V to 12 V you can replace your starter with the BOSCH HYBRID 6/12. This remanufactured starter has all the mechanical dimensions of a 6 V starter with internal components modified to operate on 12 V.

The BOSCH HYBRID 6/12 starter mounts in 6 volt transmission with a 6 V flywheel and 6 V bushing. No modifications are necessary. You don’t need to spend the time and money to remove the engine, replace flywheel, replace pinion bushing or grind the bell housing. Using a stock 6 volt starter in a 12 volt conversion will damage your flywheel and starter teeth. Don’t risk sudden starter failure and getting stranded with a burned out 6 volt starter. This is a quality remanufactured BOSCH starter.

The HYBRID 6/12 will replace 6 V starters on Beetle 1946-1966, Ghia

1956-1966, Bus 1950-66, TYPE 3 1962-1966 Starter Number: SR11X
Reply to
WSJOHNSON

On the other hand, you could just use a 6V starter and get really quick starts! Just don't hold the starter on too long or it will burn out. (and make sure you have a good selinoid.

Reply to
KWW

replace the 6V solenoid with a 12V unit, leave the rest of the starter 6V?

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I ran 12V on a 6V starter for years, no problem what so ever. That being said, I do not claim it is the correct way to do it, but it works..

The only problem I encountered during all those years was the windshield wiper motor giving up on me. Turned out to be one of the soldering points on the rotating assembly let go.

And the fact I nearly froze to death running a -56 T1 without any heat what so ever during -20C for 3 hours plus, traveling to and from the Military base where I was stationed.

My knees still disapproves of the cold, ah, being 18 again would be nice.. :-]

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Reply to