1997 ZJ 5.2 clunking and vibrating

The ZJ has been vibrating a bit for a while. Last week it got progressivel y worse and in a parking lot I felt a distinct side-to-side component at ar ound 5-10 mph--I stopped and checked the lug nuts for fear that a wheel was coming loose. Note that this is _not_ the Death Wobble--I had that a whil e back and this is distinctly different. There has also been a clunking so und every time I hit a bump for a while.

Today I got under it and looked for loose and/or bent stuff. The only thin g I found is that the left front CV joint boot is entirely missing and the wheel turns about 1/8 turn without the shaft turning. I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. I looked at the other side and it's fine, as expected-

-I replaced that shaft about 20,000 miles back.

The plan is to get a rebuilt shaft and joint from NAPA for 55 bucks and whi le I've got things apart I have a nearly new Timken bearing that I may as w ell put in (long story). I know about scraping the crud out of the axle tu be and lining it with something to keep from shoving dirt into the differen tial.

So, before I spend money any other thoughts?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep

:)

That last bolt was a pain in the butt. So I put we bit of extra pressure on the breaker bar. Now is a time to mention cheap chinese crap sockets?

(yep, did that with the jack) ..holy crap, OEM axles are expensive now..

Replaced drivers side way back when and just replace a smiling boot on the passenger side a few months ago. Built a sraper using a big washer and some threaded rod. Just cut about half the washer off so I could get it in and over the crud, turn it over, and scrape stuff out. Did change the diff fluid anyway, just to be sure. That and it's fairly painless.

Other than that, watch the brake sensor and wire. Nearly ripped the wires off mine being st00pid.

Reply to
DougW

Well, replacing the CV and bearing was uneventful, but didn't fix the probl em. I was going to take another look at it this weekend but it resolved it self. The right rear went off like it had a grenade in it--tread flying a huge hole with shredded steel belt sticking out of it, it was spectacular. It now has four new tires (they were more than 10 years old--I alternate s ummer and winter tires and ride a motorcycle most days in the summer, so th e summer tires don't get much use) and no vibration.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Belts seperated? !! Don't see that too often. I've seen a tire blow a bubble in the sidewall though... dang rock bit me. :/

Glad it was a rear tire!

Reply to
DougW

Thinking about I'm thinking I might have been vandalized. I checked it one time and it had 50 pounds of air in it. I chalked that up to having fille d it in the dark in a snowstorm at a gas station pump a couple of days befo re. But some time later I found 50 pounds in it again--just the one tire-- and have no idea how that much pressure got into it the second time. If I find 50 in the new tires at any point I'm going to have to put a camera out and catch the *beep*.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That or a new pressure gauge. ;)

But wow! 50 psi would be like driving with concrete filled tractor tires.

Reply to
DougW