93 jeep Cherokee sport runs very bad.

We have just bought this car. we were told that the problems were caused by a faulty catalytic converter, But after replacement we are still having the same problems. Rough starts, rough idle, misfires continually, and no power. The check engine light is not on and we are not getting any codes. anyone have an idea?

Both Distributer and timing chain have been changed recently by previous owner.

Reply to
Lillian

A 93 can have a lot of problems that don't throw codes. It's a much older diagnositcs system.

I am a bit worried about that timing chain/distributor replacement. It is possible to get the chain off or the distributor clocked wrong. Takes a good mechanic to tell. A timing light will tell you if the distributor is off, but if the chain is off it takes alot more work.

Most common

- clogged fuel filter (usually results in pinging at highway speed and no acceleration, but can be so bad it just dies) There is a pressure test port on the rail, pressure checkers are cheap.

- Dirty IAP (Idle Air Passage) and sticking throttle body butterfly.

- Bad coil, cap, rotor, wires, or plugs. (the coil usually results in no-start)

Do the IAP first, that solves a lot of things.

I have a 93, you might find the other pages interesting.

This group has limited traffic these days, you might have better luck in some of the Jeep related message boards.

Also here:

Good luck.

Reply to
DougW