99 jeep cherokee won't start

I just bought a used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition with a 4.0. Three weeks ago with 80,000 miles on it.

After about a week of driving it, it died at a stop sign, started right up with no problems. The next day it died twice while driving. Both times it wouldn't start for approx. 10 minutes. Then started up with no problems.

I took it back to the dealer. They replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor. It started dieing again. The dealer told me they were done working on it and wished me the best of luck.... After reading several discusion boards, I replaced the Cam Position Sensor. The problems with it dieing stopped. But now after driving an hour or so, when I shut it off and re-start it right away it starts fine. But if I let it sit for approx an hour or more after driving it it will not start. I discovered that if I push in on the Cam Position Sensor it will start with no problems. I then cleaned the contacts with electical contact cleaner which did not change the starting problem. I took it to a Chrystler Dealer where they determined it was the computor and replaced it, to my suprise, under the Jeep manufacture warrenty.

I drove for a half hour, let it sit for approx four hours, then it wouldn't start. Once again a pushed in on the Cam Positions Sensor, it started right up.

After I have done all of these things the Jeep hasn't died on me. Just the starting problem, in which when I have the problem seems to always start if I push in on the Cam Position Sensor.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do now to solve the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
theob38

Since you only bought that Jeep 3 weeks ago, I'd be back at that dealership demanding they take care of it.

Jerry

theob38 wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

"The dealer told me they were done working on it and wished me the best of luck...."

I think you should name the dealer so anyone local will know of the type of service to expect. At the very least they should be offering to diagnose the problem, rather than send you out on your ear.

Reply to
Rusted

Please tell us more about this dealer, and expand on this story if you would....

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
tim bur