2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee battery drain problem

Hello I have a serious problem with my Grand Cherokee. The car will be dead, not turning over, no battery power. After jumping the car it idles very rough and will shut off if i don't give it some gas. Eventually it will run although when I shut it off it will inevitably die after a night or sometimes even only a few hours. The battery and alternator have been replaced and still the same thing. There is also a problem with the door locks if that is any help.

The car has been in the shop but who knows how hard they are working on it, they want to take it to a dealership and I do not have the money to do this so any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you

Reply to
dr.penning

Don't worry ............ they ALL do that

If someone did the battery and the alternator ...... you've been had (you can check to see if those components are bad). I dunno what these things have for interior (current) draws - but the problem is "probably" something (that shouldn't be) drawing current from the battery (easy test is shut everything off, ..... disconnect (positive .... negative is safer - but may not yield accurate result) battery post, hook a current monitor (meter) in series, .... reconnect - and see what you've got (for discharge current).

There is also

yeah ...... it's not only a help .... it's highly SUSPICIOUS ! Door locks are selonoids (or dc motors) which draw current to make them work. Even if the locks are not working .... there could still well be current flowing to/through the activation component.

Put a meter on your current supply line, ... and start unplugging things !

Reply to
Rod Gramlich

Reply to
philthy