2001 Jeep TJ Question

Hello,

I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0L) w/ manual transmission. Mileage is

19,600 and I will have had it for 3 years at the end of this month (I bought it new).

I am hearing a slight, dull thump/clicking sound as I brake to a stop and only during the last 20 feet or so before coming to a complete stop. Maybe

5 or 6 times and it "seems" to correspond with wheel rotation. I cannot "feel it", there is no vibration during braking and if I let off the brakes, the noise will stop. If the radio is on or the windows rolled down, it is harder to hear if at all.

It used to do it only when it was wet/raining or cool, but in the last week or so I have noticed it pretty much each time I come down to a complete stop (though still intermittent). Clutch engaged or not, neutral or in gear..it's there. It is scheduled for a check at the dealership next Monday, though if it is the brakes, they are only warranted for 12 months.

Thanks for any advice or information.

Campbell Freeman South Carolina

Reply to
Campbell Freeman

Sounds like a warped brake rotor. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I was trying to save myself from _3Ksc.32176$PU5.23374@fed1read06, but wouldn't let me go...

| Sounds like a warped brake rotor. :) |

What, a smiley behind that makes it ok????

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
Jim85CJ

My 2000 TJ had similar symptoms, it needed an alignment. It wore out the factory tires, so I got the 31" BFG All-Terrain T/A. The feel and performance with these tires were much better than the factory tires. Just needed a few washers on the bump stop on either side so they wouldn't rub.

Tony

Reply to
Tony M

Aw, no, just another acknowledgemnt of DCs' sterling brake quality these days!

My '01 GC developed a bad brake chatter at about 7k, didn;t gripe about it until; about 18k at which point they replaced both fron calipers & rotors with the new style units. 3k later....thump, thump, thum, all over again. I always make sure the wheels are torqued evenly to factory spec, that didn;t make a bit of difference. (FWIW, 85-110 ft lbs is too broad a range, so I just split the difference. and make sure they're all the same) . Next stop, aftermarket iron rotors.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I was trying to save myself from xsMsc.33055$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, but wouldn't let me go...

| Joseph P wrote: | || I was trying to save myself from || _3Ksc.32176$PU5.23374@fed1read06, but || wouldn't let me go... || ||| Sounds like a warped brake rotor. :) ||| || || What, a smiley behind that makes it ok???? | | maybe he does brake repairs? |

Heh heh, good for business then?

Reply to
Joseph P

I was trying to save myself from WMMsc.2101$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net, but wouldn't let me go...

If you had gotten a different set of rims with the proper backspacing, rubbing would not have been an issue.

Look at the last two pics, check out the angle on that turn.

Reply to
Joseph P

When I got the tires at Discount Tire, I asked them if I needed any modification to run this size tire. They said no and put them on the stock rim. No mention of new rims or backspacing. Thanks for the info.

Tony

Reply to
Tony M