2004 Jeep GC 4X4 stalls on city road

When you turn the igntition to start did it crank the motor?

Yes

Did the starter engage the motor or did it just spin?

The starter motor was revving.

As in, did the engine make it's usual 'chug, chug' cranking noise or was it a much different and higher pitched spinning noise?

No. No noise, no shuddering.

If it cranked but didn't fire it'd most likely be the CPS or a fuel problem. But if it just sat there and spun the starter motor then it'd be the start solenoid or its relay.

If the starter motor is turning, isn't there a belt or gear which connects the motor to the engine? Why would a solenoid or relay come in the picture?

There's a BIG difference between cranking the engine over and just spinning the starter. They're nothing like each other and not something easily confused. So which actually happened?

AFAIK, the starter motor was turning bu the engine was not "chug chugging".

Since it's new you should of course make the dealer fix it.

I will go to the dealer. It is time consuming, the dealer tries to weasel out of what they can, hence I want to go there informed. Thanks four your insights.

Reply to
uniskae

If the engine is running hot, wouldn't the dashboard gauge show that? The gauge is showing normal temperature.

Reply to
uniskae

You would think so, but if you have no working fans, that gauge 'has' to swing a lot more than normal if it is a working gauge.

At speed the gauge could read normal, but when in traffic, it would have to go up.

Mike

uniskae wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

So you have TWO problems. One is that it died while driving. The other is that now it won't engage the starter solenoid.

It's odd to have both of those problems at the same time. Strange enough that electrical system problems might be involved. Don't know how an '04's ignition control works but I'd start to wonder about the problem not necessarily being in just the starter.

Reply to
wkearney99

What is turning the alternator? How would it be turning if the engine is not spinning? Do you mean the starter is spinning but the engine is not being turned over?

uniskae proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Thanks for all the insightful responses folks! Just a follow up: the Jeep has never stalled since I posted this problem. After a highway drive, the RPM is less than 500 in stop-and-go traffic, which is believe is low. And, after a highway drive, when I have to idle, it seems the engine will stall any moment. I sense that the engine will stall some time, however, hopefully, not in a busy and fast-traffic scenario.

This is a great newsgroup with a lot of knowledgable people providing valuable input. I will volunteer my expertise, though, due to my Jeep-ignorance, probably not in this group. Keep it up folks!

Reply to
uniskae