258 direct replacement for the dauntless??????

ok heres the story my father in law recently purchased a 71 cj5 with a seized up dauntless v6 in it and i would like to buy him a motor for it for him for christmas. i found a 258 for 100 dollars but i'm told it will not be a direct replacement. #1 does it have same transmission bolt pattern on back of block? #2 is it just because it is a cj5 and there isn't enough room under the hood?

thanks in advance

Reply to
marvin martian

The v6 is a GM product, and the 258 is an American Motors offering. The transmission won't bolt up. You may get an adapter from Advance Adapters,

but it will cost a lot more than your $100 258. If the 258 comes with the clutch, bell housing, and flywheel, you might have some luck. If it was in a CJ, and you can get the motor mounts, clutch linkage, and a whole bunch of small parts that I don't even want to think of now, you might even make it run.

You might like to investigate why the v6 is seized. The vehicle might have been left outside in a rainy environment for long enough that the rings rusted to the cylinders. I had a 318 like that once, and eventually got it freed up and running.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

ok i already have all the parts i need from a cj7 project of my own i'll probably donate to the cause of getting said jeep running and out of my garage. i know the dauntless is a gm motor but from past experience my turbo 350 transmission was bolted to the back of a 258with no adapter, so i guess i was just fishing for why the motor would not work (or so i was told) as a replacement because i wasn't given any particulars just that it wouldn't work

Reply to
marvin martian

The answer depends on which transmission you have in the CJ 5. This page says that you need an adapter to bolt a 350 Turbohydramatic to an AMC engine

The following two pages have some information on your year, which I believe is 1971

I don't recommend either for or against buying Advance Adapter parts for your project. It is just that they have collected a lot of information in their catalog, that you might use to figure out what kind of transmission you have. I don't believe that the v6 uses the same bell housing pattern as the v8, but I am not 100% sure on that. From memory, it is a Buick engine, not a Chevy.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Novack has quite a knoledge base too, you could look on their site, may tell you what is needed to make it fit.

Reply to
Greg

The Buick 235 is a direct swap, and most older Buick-Pontiac-Olds engines bolt up, but have problems with engine mounts, hoses, etc. I put a 4.3L GM Astrovan engine in a Jeepster, but the bolting to the trans was the easiest part.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Don't a 3.2 or 3.8 bolt up too?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

My mom gave her old 3800 powered Buick away after a cat died in it. I hauled it to my niece's boyfriend du jour and he used the 3800 FWD engine in his YJ. He fabbed his own mounts and modified an aluminum bellhousing with extensive welding and cutting.

Advance and Novak blow more shit out their ass before 9 AM than the average platoon does all day...They said it was flat impossible. Flat impossible took him about a week. Biggest problem was electronic, getting the ECM to work in a manual application.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig