258 Rebuild

How much should I expect to pay to get my 258 I6 out of a 88 YJ rebuilt. I went to get a Quote off a websit and it said $1650 + $300 deposit. for that much I could pull a fuel injected 4.0 with low miles and put it in my self.

Reply to
Adam

I belive you can buy a long block for around $1000, do it yourself.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Last I checked at Chrysler they were $1200.00 in Canada.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Adam ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote on Saturday 22 November 2003 11:54 am:

Adam,

Most of what you're paying is labor. The places offering re-built engines usually work in assembly line fashion, versus you want -your- engine rebuit (which, IMO, is a good thing).

If you have the time, a close machine shop that you trust, and a second car, you can probably rebuild the engine yourself. That would have been my choice, rather than having to have dealt with being sent a defective engine.

And you're right, -if- you can find a good used engine in a wrecked car, it'd be cheaper to buy that instead. I've done that before, but only because I new the owner and I new he took good care of the care before he flipped it.

My two cents.

Reply to
Michael White

Well I saw this and might as well ask you some question that you may know or have already asked. My understanding is that the 1988 259 I-6 only had 1112 HP with the carb. I also understans that the 1991 - 4.0L has 180 HP with FI, so the question is can one take the cam and heads off of a 4.0 and put them in and on a 1988 - 258 ( 4.2L ) I-6 and get that 180 HP too. I only wish I would have know this before I rebuilt my 258 I-6. Now we are new but still weak.

Please advise.

Thanks

Reply to
nvrpc