4 cyl. mileage, lift & tire size

My mileage has ranged from 13.6 mpg to 20 mpg with the lifetime average at 16.1 mpg right now. This is an '05 Sport picked up in the middle of December, currently with ~3500 miles on it.

Note that the cold and the snow around here reduce gas mileage. (an old car I drove one winter was getting 20 in Dec. before it got real cold, but only got 15 the whole winter) The last few tanks have given me better mileage than the earlier ones did.

No, but its really hard to stall it and the torque is great :-). It pulls like a truck, not like a ricer!

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

My 86 CJ7 with the 4.2 gets a nice 23 US mpg highway very consistently.

Mike

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hello bumpsteer.

You're not going to find a "manufactured" lift kit with a triangulated front. Would be stupid for anyone to sell cuz it would leave the rig handling like s*&t.

Any hard core rock crawling rigs you see with a triangulated front are using full hydraulic steering (hydraulic pump, self centering orbital valve, and a double ended cylinder (ram)).....or they're 100% trail only, and it doesn't matter if it handles like s*&t, or thirdly, it's a wicked booty fab rig that no sane person would drive.

Without full hydro, you have a drag link going from the steering box to the passenger side knuckle, and the track bar matches the draglink to make sure the axle follows a path such that axle travel occurs in such a way as to not promote bumpsteer.

Not to be a downer, but don't hold your breath for a triangulated front kit.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

Same Chrylser engine being used in the PT Cruiser, Neon, and others. Though I think the Neon may be down to a 2.0L now.....

Paul

k_902 wrote:

Reply to
Paul Keating
31's, 4cyl's, and hills just don't go together. I've had my 99 TJ SE for about 2.5 years now. I've done multi-day road trips, hills, rocks, mud... just about everything. I've had stock tires, 31s, and now 33s.

Leave the stock size on there if you want stock performance. When I went from 31s to stock (came with 31s used -- got free stockers) I noticed a HUGE difference. When I went from 31s to 33s, again, a HUGE difference. That said, I have enough little tweaks to make my 33s liveable. I still use 5th gear all the time (just not on hills) and get 18mpg on average in the city. I haven't done any major road trips since putting on the 33s to say what my highway mileage is (but I think it's worse -- have to continuously downshift if there's a headwind or hills -- causes much higher RPMs). I also have a

4" lift, so that may affect my mileage negatively.

By the way Bill -- plenty of rock crawling and no broken D35 yet. I just air down to about 10 psi for maximum traction and take it easy over the obstacles. :-) Of course when my locker gets here, I may be sending you pics to post. We'll see...

Eric

99 TJ SE

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

i just filled up (after second full tank) on my '05 rubicon. 11.6 around town, little to no interstate driving on that tank. :-(

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

its all part of dieters cross platform plan. the engine came over from the dodge neon.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

....youve never visited montana, huh bill? :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

im waiting on it to prove itself in the field a little before spending the money, but its said to handle awesome on the highway. i guess only time will tell.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

With all the discussion of gas mileage, the emphasis on the lift got only a few, but good responses.

Has anyone tried going the cheap route, using coil spacers?

What were the results?

Thanks,

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Thanks Tom,

I am glad that someone else has reported similar mileage with their Wrangler. My Wrangler is fast enough for me too. No problems going anywhere at the posted speed limits, and a little anticipation about the need to downshift simplifies that. I won't be winning any races or passing any 6-cyl Wranglers, but for my purposes (and budget) my TJ gets the job done just fine. It is good to know that your 2.4 has been reliable. Hope mine is also.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Positive. I drive 135 miles a day back and forth to work...at $2.07 a gallon I keep track of the gas mileage...believe me.

Like I said, my son's newer('02)Jeep does worse, more like the figures you quote.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

lol...oh, im not to worried about its legitimacy. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I have helped folks do that and it works just fine for an inch or two. Super easy to install too.

Mike

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

the wrangler is about as aerodynamic as a bread delivery truck. then factor in 4wd, then gearing and wahlah! 13-16mpg on average. mileage and wrangler are at oppositite ends. want mileage? buy a prius, want a REAL suv... get the wrangler.

Reply to
wallster

Reading this thread makes me feel better about my '76 Jeeprolet with 350 (air pump and catalytic), AT, 3.56 gearing and 35" mudders getting 11-12 MPG.

:^)

Claude

Reply to
claudel

Don't tell me that the day after I finaly got my wife to get out of her Ford Escape and sit in a new rubicon and she says, "OK, I like it", the escapes not great but it's sure in the 20s for mpg.

Reply to
Greg

Yups... I installed the Tera Flex Budget Boost. Pretty easy to do (like Mike said). I'm happy with the results. Guy at work has a 2" Rancho lift on his Jeep, and side by side, you can't tell the difference between his and mine. It's worked great on and off the trail. I ended up having to drop my transfer case about 1/4" to get rid of drive shaft vibrations though. But that's pretty rare for a lift that size; only seen/heard of it on 4.0L with 5sp and Dana44, and even then not the norm.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller