4 cyl. mileage, lift & tire size

Many factors governing wide variations in reported mpg (I suspect speedometer calibration is often the main one), but one not yet mentioned is extra drag from permanently locked hubs. The TJ and newer XJ front ends are always turning the carrier, ring gear, and front drive shaft. Vehicles with manually unlocked hubs or the old YJ/XJ vacuum disconnect passenger-side axle don't turn the carrier and drive shaft. In my own experience, this can account for 1-2 MPG(US) not to mention a much quieter ride.

Steve

ElAlumbrado wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Sounds great. All I really want is get just that little extra clearance I need to stop dragging my receiver hitch on the way to my favorite fishing hole.

I have seen spacers for as little at $60.00 on the 'net somewhere. Got a friend who is a suspension guru to do the work and get it right, but he is not a jeep guy and cannot tell me what experiences people have had with coil spacers.

Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Tera Flex Budget Boost? Where did you find that?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Please ignore my stupidity. Found the site on the 'net.

Spelling threw me off....

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

But the left wheel was still connected spinning the spiders and the inner halfshaft. Manual hubs are the only way to get true free-wheeling. My MJ got within an RCH of the same mileage on the highway during a hectic 17,000 mile summer of running back and forth to Texas. The vacuum disconnect motor got fouled up about halfway thru the summer and I didn't have time to fix it until later in the fall. Stuck in the locked position or unlocked, I got 22-23 on every trip. Wind made a lot more difference than the axle did - every 5 kts of wind cost me pretty close to 1.5 mpg (or added, it it was tail wind

- > Many factors governing wide variations in reported mpg (I suspect

Reply to
Will Honea

Well, I hope you're right Bill!

Reply to
Eric

Just make sure you get the extended bump stops with the spacers. If you use the stock ones, the springs can over compress which can damage them or the shocks.

Mike

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well colour me skeptical.

Teraflex has never been known for great handling with their long arm kits.....their original long arm kit was promoted as handling well, but the poor folks who shelled out the cash for it soon discovered that it squat like a cat under acceleration, and nose dived like crazy under braking, due to the unequal length upper and lower control arms. Seems they got around that problem by calling it a "LCG" kit.....in other words, if you keep the lift to a minimum, the arms will be closer to parallel and the symptoms won't be as bad.

Looks like they've got the same problem with this kit, and added in the triangulated front end.....do some searching on pirate4x4.

*shrug* Keep an eye out, but I'm betting it won't be a big seller.

Paul

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Reply to
Paul Keating