4-Door Wrangler? Crosslander?

A friend of mine in the newspaper business just said he recently saw an announcement from Jeep that they will produce a new Wrangler platform late next year. One of the variants will be a 4-door stretched version available with both hard and soft tops (Yippee!). Has anybody heard anything else about this? I hope they sell it with a diesel and a

6-speed manual.

Also rumored to be coming to the US soon is a Land Rover knock-off built by a Romanian company in Brazil called the "CrossLander". This is a civilized version of an Eastern-European military vehicle and appears to be a simple, rugged, no-frills hard-core 4x4 with a base price somewhere around $20K. They claim a network of 90 dealers nationwide (here's the link for the Dallas dealer:

with availability later this spring (they say that EPA approval, secured late last fall, has delayed US introduction originally scheduled for 2003). Does anybody know anything more about this thing? I think either of these 2 vehicles would make a great "Toad" for the more adventurous RV-er.

Thanks,

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

rumor has it there will be no 06 wrangler (like 96) they are re vamping it for 07... no inline 6... going with the libby 3.7 hope it s just rumors!!! havnt heard of the 4door wrangler but I saw pics of the new('06) 4 door commaner looks ok

-- Jarod Sprauer

Talk is JEEP at

281-807-JEEP (5337)

Reply to
IsellJeeps

The last TJ will roll off the line on July 21, 2006. The new Wrangler will begin production soon after. Word is there will be a 4-door option. The 4.0l I6 is dropped for V6. Diesel available. The tub body is ditched to improve side impact ratings. Also rumored to be wider than a TJ.

Best bet is that 07 Wrangler will share much of the Gladiator styling and platform:

Gladiator prototype has a solid front axle. Hopefully 07 Wrangler will too.

The Commander is debuting day after tomorrow at NY auto show:

Big pig (6500 lb) with IFS and seven seats.

Steve

IsellJeeps wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Based on these photos, I give Jeep an "A-" for the Gladiator, and a good solid "F" for the Commander. This thing looks like it would have been boring in the 80's.

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

I followed the Crosslander bit for the last 2years - I don't think they'll ever get the beast to the US - numerous issues in the past - epa standards, quality control issues, worker strikes.... you name it, they've had an excuse/reason - kept in touch w/ one of the 'dealers' for about a year - still don't know when they'll arrive - always tell you the next season - so it's spring now - the last i heard was Summer 2005....

don't count on it, sorry.

Reply to
Paw

"Paw" wrote

That's too bad. It looks just about perfect for the kind of no-frills,

4-passenger off-road "toad" I'd like to have (especially with the turbo-diesel). The dealer in Austin says that EPA approval was secured late last fall and that they expect to get their first production vehicle(s) in May. They also said that volume production will begin over the summer with wide availability of colors, options, etc. by early fall.

I guess we'll see. If not, there's always the 2007 Wrangler 4-door. I wish Land Rover would bring the long wheel-base 4-door Defender back to the US.

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

Well I'd like to believe your dealer... honestly - that's the same info they've been giving me for the last 2 years. :) Almost verbatim...

Reply to
Paw

Oh and btw - if it does become available - the turbo-diesel is no longer an option - it's a v6 - they 'hope' to bring the diesel to the US after a few years of producition with the v6 - at least this is the info I was last given.

Reply to
Paw

You need to ask? Follow the money - that leads you on-road, with IFS & side-impact protection. TJ is the end of the line.

Brian

IFS though !

Reply to
Dave Milne

"Dave Milne" wrote

IFS?

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

Looks like it doesn't it ?

Dave Milne

hey dave

..... i don't think he knew what ifs stood for ;)

Reply to
Paw

Aha ! Shall we tell him ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ, both axles and no Independent Front Suspension.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Ahh. And now he does.

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

hee.... me thinks he has figured it out... danged google... ;)

Reply to
Paw

I don't recall seeing the term "IRS" anywhere, but a lot of vehicles (namely cars and small wannabe-SUVs) these days have an Independent Rear Suspension in addition to an Independent Front Suspension. All of mine have a solid rear (TJ, F-150, BroncoII).

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to