4 inch suspension nitpicking

You can remove the rear shaft, put it into 4x4 and drive it or remove the front shaft and drive it on 2 wheel drive.

Mike

Mike Romain

The top end of the track bar might have moved too. Did you get a new rim also?

Mike

Mike Romain

Yup got a new rim and 2 new tires outta this. I just got back from working on it today, took the front shaft off and drove around, didn't figure you guys would let me just jack up the rear end and put it in gear. I still get the vibrations though... so it must be somewhere back there. Maybe my driveshaft is just outta whack, I give up. I'll wait until the shop can take me in and look at it. I will let you guys know what the culprit is when they let me know. I'm damn interested in finding out what they have to say.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Heh I figured you wouldn't let me get off that easy. Luckily I guessed you wouldn't so I did that. And I give up... the vibes are still there. I'll let you know what the shop says when they get their hands on it.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Now put the front shaft back on and pull off the rear shaft and drive it in 4wd.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Heh I figured you wouldn't let me get off that easy. Luckily I guessed you

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

He has the SYE and CV shaft so no issues there.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Won't it leak transfer case fluid if he does this?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Damn I should have done that today while I was under it. I'll try that tomorrow. So if the vibes do go away then the driveshaft would be the culprit? I noticed in the link Bill posted (thanks Bill!) that the driveshaft had a rubber boot around it where mine does not. I was underwater with the thing, and the driveshaft without the boots is splined and slides into the rest of the shaft, looks like water/mud could have gotten in there maybe? I can't imagine why I dont have the boot on it. The shop who installed the cv driveshaft is supposed to be reputable, it's a nationwide chain. (4wheelparts&more) but this was a while ago.

I shouldn't give up I guess, as long as ya'll have stuff for me to check I'll keep checking.

What else should I be trying here? Maybe if I can make a big list I'll spend all day trying things out.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

If it is I'll be pretty mad at the shop who worked on it. What else that gets me is that before I had the rear upper adjustable control arms, I asked the last shop guy to check all the angles n stuff, and when I picked it up after he worked on it I asked if he checked the driveline angles and he said Yup, everything is fine. Well before I added those control arms the pinion was not pointing up at the transfer case like it should and I had more vibes than I do now.

Come to think of it, I also paid him to install a locker, and when I got it back he had put in a limited slip... I took it back and told him locker, as in Detroit Locker, and he said oops usually locker means a lsd? I'm not sure about how much he knows about jeep drivelines so I haven't been back since.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

SIDENOTE: If you quote the post you are replying to (as I did below) it will be easier to determine what you are replying to.

I would not worry about the boot. If you keep grease in the shaft it will be fine. If you go thru water crossings, RE-GREASE EVERYTHING when you get home.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Damn I should have done that today while I was under it. I'll try that

Reply to
twaldron

LSD is a traction aid, but not a locker. That is a strange mistake or assumption that the shop made. Really strange.

This is VERY hard to diagnose over the internet, but what I suggest is that you learn to do things like lifts on your own. You will know what/when things change and how they interact. You can troubleshoot and repair your own stuff and save yourself tons of $. You seem to have the aptitude.

Things like vibrations are hard to trace down sometimes. If you have the axles set up and oriented correctly (and make sure you do...BTW, I err on the side of pointing the pinion down slightly as opposed to too high.), then swapping parts with a willing friend's Jeep to eliminate components as culprits helps. Swap shafts, wheels & tires, etc.

What bothers me about your description, is you seem to have vibes all the time, in some intensity. This may indicate multiple sources. Driveline vibes will not appear when your coasting in neutral with the drive train relaxed. You will feel them buzzing on acceleration or deceleration.

I still suggest bagging the spacer kit. CV shafts are not supposed to run in a straight line. They are built to run at an angle. If you can back track to before you got the vibes and move forward. You may be able to pinpoint the issue. Having an accident opens an entirely different size can of worms.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Troy wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Just so you know, 'Every' time I cross water and I do a grease job as soon as I get home, I get a whole 'lot' of water out of every u-joint!

I thought I would be 'smart' and put those heavy duty 'lifetime' non grease joints in when I rebuilt it. Well, that was a mistake. They 'all died young. At one point I took 6 at once back for a refund.

One of the damn things only lasted 8 months. I had to take it apart for something else and the caps were already full of that milky water/oil mix crud.

If you have been using your Jeep under water and haven't greased it, you should to a careful inspection of the u-joint caps for rust stains. All of them. If the front axle u-joints are rust stained, that could be a source for vibes.

Another strange source for vibes is the radiator fan. If it's clutch is worn out, it can make the strangest vibe going that seems to come from everywhere....

Mike

Mike Romain

This is strange because driveline angle is your number one suspect, and locker NEVER means lsd.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Woohoo!

Today I went and removed the transfer case spacers and readjusted my rear upper control arms and drove it. I think I got the angle pretty good because the vibes weren't that bad, but still there. So I took it home and removed the rear driveshaft. I noticed when it was off there was some ring type piece just flappin around in the middle of the cv joint. I drove it to where I can hit high speed and didn't have any vibes at all. I should have taken that thing off first, the front one was a pain in the a$$.

I took the shaft to a different driveline shop just now. They called the mech. in and he took one look at it and knew what it went on. So now I feel alot better about leaving it there. He said the cv joint will have to be replaced and he will check the ujoints out for me. Also he will add a grease fitting on the driveshaft itself, this one didn't have one. I also asked to have it balanced while its there. All for about $160 including labor.

Thanks to all ya'll who told me what to do, lol. I'm gonna go crack open a beer and finally get to rest for a few days until it's back, Monday.

Thanks again!

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Cool, thanks for the follow up.

Mike

Mike Romain

Well they didn't get the driveshaft done until today but I put it in this afternoon. The difference is night and day. I don't have any vibrations anymore at highway speeds, although I don't think I"m gonna drive it over 70 anywhere. It was smooth up to 80 then I let off. Man I'm glad this is over, thanks again guys.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to