68 cj5 steering box

How do I adjust my manual steering box in my 68 cj5?

Reply to
pete

Do you know what kind it is?

The later CJ's use a Saginaw system, like the GM one. The adjuster plug for right to left play is in the end the column goes in. It has a big locknut on it you loosen off, then you crank the big plug going around the column tight and back it off 1/8" of edge travel and tighten back up the big locknut. You will need channel lock pliers for the big nut and a center punch and hammer to move the big adjuster plug. There is a tool with two pins on it to hit the small holes in the plug and turn it, but the punch and hammer work.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Pete, do you have the original "Ross Box" steering system or a Saginaw conversion?

If it's a Ross Box the first thing you need is a Factory Service Manual, one source is here-

You really need to check everything, right from the steering column to the knuckle bearings., a little slop here & there adds up very quickly on these units.

This has been discussed many times on any of the forums devoted to early CJs, do a search on any of them for "Death Wobble" will turn up dozens if not hundreds of hits, heres one of my "Personal" favourites :) -

Good luck,

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
Superman Hughes Troll Fighter of oldNumber7 & squareWheels

Ditto, and tightening up that lock nut and screw can make your steering bind up. Then you're in the bushes or worse.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton