72 CJ-5 charcoal cannister question

There is a cannister on my 72 cj5 located next to the fuel tank on the driver side. What is this? Is it a basic charcoal cannister or is it some type of rollover fuel protection device? I am in the process of learning everything about my jeep and have recently replaced the fuel sending unit and probably made some mistakes. I assumed the device is a basic charcoal cannister to absorb fumes but now after having to reassemble everything and not remembering where everything goes I do not want to take the device out of the picture if it is IMPORTANT to my vehicle.

Thanks.

Sam C. Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

Your gas tank has to have an air vent with an air filter on it (charcoal canister) or it will vacuum lock and do the sweetest imitation of running out of gas you ever want to see. It will bog first, then up and quit.

The canister is located in the engine compartment.

There 'should' be a small can like thing close to the gas tank also. This is the roll over check valve and fluid trap.

The top two vents on the tank hook into one line and go to the check valve. From there, the line runs up to the engine compartment and hooks into the top of the canister. Your carb float bowl also will have a vent line running to the top of the canister.

Here is a good link on all the plumbing for the CJ's:

Sam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey I really appreciate the link. One thing I noticed is that the page you listed contains information for Jeeps made after mine. I have a 1972 Jeep and there is no computer.

The cannister you mentioned on mine is located on the underbody of the jeep on the driver side next to the gas tank.

Thanks for your input!!

Sam C. Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

Does your 'canister' have one line going up to the PCV valve or air filter to purge it?

Mike

Sam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain