72 CJ-5 Fuel Tank question

I am looking for information pertaining to the 3 metal tubes on the top of my fuel tank as to where they go. I also am looking for information about the line connections to the charcoal cannister that is in the back of my 72 cj-5 on the driver side rear next to the fuel tank.

In short...I am looking for information pertaining to all the connections to the fuel tank and for the charcoal cannister. I replaced my fuel sending unit and can not remember where everything goes except for the one that goes to the fuel filter.

Thanks.

Sam C. Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

That's not a charcoal canister. Its a fuel vapour tank . The three connections on the fuel tank connect to the vapour tank and other purge line runs up to the engine compartment and is connected to the intake manifold somehow. Some but not of this is shown in the Chiltons and Hanes repair Manals. What engine?

Reply to
Ther Fergusons

V8 304

Reply to
Sam

You need a copy of "Chilton's Repair & Tune-up Guide Jeep CJ 1945 to

1984" (Chilton Book Company, 1984, ISBN 0-8019-7484-4).

On page 131 is a line-drawing of the 1972-73 fuel tank plumbing. It shows

4 small "fuel tank vapor vent line" hoses running to the 4 top corners of the tank, they go to the forward 4 connections on the bottom of the expansion tank (vapor separator). The rearmost connector on the bottom of the expansion tank is labled "Expansion tank to limit fill valve hose" and runs foward away from the tfuel ank.

It shows two hose connectors on the fuel sender, the one facing forward is the fuel line to fuel pump, the one pointing towards the fillerneck is "capped off (not used)."

The system was redesigned for model year 1974-76, using only two tank vent lines and a liquid check valve where your expansion tank is.

HTH.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to