94 EB 4x4 Explorer fuel pressure problem?

Just wanted to get some feedback about a problem I have had for several months now. 2 months ago I experienced an episode where my 94 EB 4x4 Explorer would not start. The engine would turn over like normal however it would never catch and run. Upon sniffing the tail pipe and check some other things I deduced I had a fuel pressure problem. Okay no problem...took it to a garage that was close to where it was broke down at and they installed a new fuel pump in the gas tank. I saw the fuel pump they put in and kind of half ass trust these guys cause I see them a lot. Got the car from them and it worked fine. Two days later the same problem...I waited for a little while and it started just fine. I started making mental notes about this problem as to when and under what circumstances this happens. Over the last month and a half this has happened to me probably 5-10 times. It does not matter if I have a full tank...day time heat...hot engine....taking fuel cap off ...etc.....just that apparently I am loosing fuel pressure. I can even turn the key on and off several times...or just leave the key on and see if the fuel pump will pump up (if that makes any sense..) and nothing makes a difference.

Well the other night it happened to me again....this episode lasted about 20 minutes. I kept on trying to start the thing every few minutes to no luck. One time when turning the key to the on position I noticed that my service engine soon light came on which it is supposed to do and it eventually goes out once the vehicle starts. Well I noticed this because all the other times in the past few minutes of this episode I never saw the light come on...but this time it came on and I turned it all the way over and whalaah..it runs just fine. The reason I am mentioning this is because as per my observation....I think maybe I am getting somewhere in the long process of narrowing down the fix. I guess some sensor or maybe even the computer...has to get the "okay" from device in the fuel system before giving the "okay" thus illuminating the service engine soon light during start...which of course goes out once the car is running.

I am not getting any trouble codes via the service engine soon light during operation however I wonder if there are any stored in there reference to this problem.

I know some of you are going to say take it to the people who fixed it the first time......well I am not going to and would like to fix this myself or at least have a full understanding of the problem and solution before I make my decision. I see references being made to checking fuel pressure at some tap off the fuel rail....as per the haynes manual.

I would like to hear some experience from others with respect to fuel pressure problems and/or problems similar to what I am experiencing.

Thanks, Sam Cederas Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

Hmm. How do you know that you have a fuel pressure problem if you never measured it? It's not what you want to hear, but either spend the $40 on a gauge, or take it back to whoever installed your pump, if you suspect that it's not working properly. I don't know of any 'device' which gives OK to the computer that the fuel pressure is correct. With some exceptions of new and fancy vehicles with return-less electronic regulation, fuel pressure control is purely mechanical, relying on a spring-loaded valve, which returns the fuel that your engine does not need back to the tank. Your 'Service Engine Soon' light is supposed to be on before the engine starts, to let you know that the bulb is not burned. If it's not turning on, something is wrong with it, but it has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

I would advise you to do some methodical troubleshooting, instead of getting stuck on fuel pressure alone. How about ignition, for example?

IK

Reply to
IK

OK.... if the CEL isn't proving out AND you don't hear the pump run, I'd consider the possibility of a problem with the EEC relay or circuit. If the PCM isn't powering up at key on, then the PCM can't turn the fuel pump on... Since the relay is only a few bucks, you might try replacing it and trying it that way.

Your diagnostic process is rather unique and is sure to make the guy at the parts store very happy as his cash register fills up with your money.

Jim Warman

I do not mind spending the money to measure the fuel problem. When the engine turns over and over and does not start...a good sniff of the tail pipe is a good indicator for the presence or lack of gas in the mix. No gas is present in the mix when this is happening. THis is a fuel problem.

The bulb is not burned out. When ever I experience the problem I am having which is the engine turns over and over without starting....every episode of the turning the ignition on...I notice that the service engine soon light never comes on like it is supposed to. EVERY successful start of the vehicle is precipitated by the service engine soon light coming on like it is supposed to and then going off once the vehicle is running. There is some significance to that.

Thanks for your input. I believe I have done a pretty good job of paying attention to my vehicle. I believe that because of my anal approach and alert observations I will get this problem resolved and save myself a lot of money. With the help of yourself and others who have replied this problem will be solved soon. I really appreciate the time you and others take to give me your input. Since the problem can never duplicate itself by any means other than it just doing it.......not a certain temperature....not a certain amount of gas in the tank....not a certain incline I park the vehicle....no certain time vehicle parked........I am finding it hard to believe that I am loosing fuel pressure since it is so sporadic in the episodes. Someone else posted a reply about some relay, etc and I think I will spend the dollars and replace.

I am not a professional ford mechanic and do not have a plethora of test equipment at my disposal...with that in mind I take the approach I am taking.. You guys are really giving great feedback and I thank you !!!!!

Sam Cederas Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

Reply to
George Clough

Yep, I had a similar problem with my '93 Sport. No power to the fuel pump. Replaced the relay (about $3 at O'Reilly) and all has been OK since then.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

Sam:

I also have a 1994 model, and I can always "hear" the fuel pump run for a few seconds when I turn the key to "on". I didn't read in your description that you hear the fuel pump running to presurize the fuel rail. Do you?

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SASCHOCH

I have not noticed. Let me tell you what I have just done tonight. I went and replaced the fuel pump relay and the EEC Relay. Gonna see what happens now. Others have posted how they had similar problems. I am going to take the old ones apart.

Let you all know.

Thanks for the posts!

-Sam Cederas Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

So far so good. A week now since I replaced the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay. Starting problems I had before have not exhibited themselves yet. Cross my fingers !!!

Sam Cederas Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam