77 CJ7 rusty frame

I own a 77 CJ7 Golden Eagle that is in dire shape as far as the frame is concerned. I live in Minnesota and use this vehicle primarily as a plow truck. I only plow my own driveway and the road leading to it. I was alerted to the severe rust (especially above my rear spring shackles) by my local Jeep dealer while he was doing some routine service. My dilemma is whether to replace the frame with a new CJ frame or go to a used (but rust and damage free) TJ frame. If I were to use a TJ frame I would have a Timbren unit installed as well (to assist with the additional weight of the plow), based on the advice of a shop I called today. Because my springs would likely get replaced during this process I am thinking about having a BDS 2 1/2" lift kit suspension installed. Simply letting this vehicle slowly die and replacing it is not an option for me. I love this CJ and have had it almost since it was new. I want to get it back to good operating condition. I have been told that all CJ frames are prone to rust, and that YJ and TJ frames are less likely to deteriorate like the CJ's do. Am I on the right track in thinking about a TJ frame? I realize the cost of this will likely be high, but I am willing to have it done, if it's the right choice. Thanks, John

Reply to
John Schroeder