86 Cherokee 2.5 fuel injection just started idling rough.

86 Cherokee 2.5 fuel injection just started idling rough.

What are my candidates to check out?

If I accelerate it smooths out... and sometimes it will smooth out at idle, but it's rough idling most of the time.

Skip

Reply to
<m>

Vacuum leak.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks bro- I was thinking maybe cap or rotor... just put new plugs in it... the forward plug had worked its way slightly loose somehow. Has original cap, rotor, and wires so I guess it's time for those at 175k miles. Does the bottled injector cleaner stuff actually work?

Reply to
<m>

Good idea. And we all know how vacuum leaks really suck ;o)

Reply to
<m>

Buddy says it could also be a burned exhaust valve at 175k miles?

Reply to
<Skip>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I'm betting vacuum leak... I've babied this engine and it's had an easy life with no a/c. Is a compression test something I could do myself for under $200? Or should I take it to a shop? I'm a long way from any mechanic I'd trust, hence I've been trying to do my own stuff. Used to live in Dallas and there were plenty of good mechs. Not here... Is there a trick to finding a vacuum leak other than looking at hoses etc?

Reply to
<Skip>