88 XJ timing cover...

88XJ - 4.0L- Need to replace the timing cover seal, will check/replace chain. Felpro seal kit
comes with a "repair sleeve". Is this always needed, if so how/where do I install it. Any other tips or potential gotchas would be appreciated. Thanks Von Rick
Reply to
D Vonrick

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

This is really Mickey Mouse!!!!! The sleeve is made to repair the balancer's seal surface. I'd throw it away, and buy a seal from your local auto parts store. There are no guide pins like on all GM and Ford engines, so you must have your balancer in place before tightening the cover's bolts. Replace the timing chain while you're there:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill...

Reply to
D Vonrick

The sleeve is only necessary if the balancer has a groove worn in it where the seal rides. The sleeves are pretty easy to install. I normally put the balancer in the freezer and the sleeve in the oven just to reduce the press fit a little. Then just tap in in place with a flat piece of wood and a small hammer. Some of them also come with an installation tool.

Chris

On an 88, they figure the harmonic balancer will have a ridge worn in it at the seal. You can check yours with a straight edge once you have it off. A hot sleeve and a frozen balancer make it easier to put on if needed.

The only other real trick is to have the harmonic balancer slipped in place when you start tightening down the cover so the seal centers. You have to pull it off to finish bolting the cover down, then put it on the last time.

Oh, pulling the rad out will also save your knuckles and is well worth it... Only a couple bolts up top on the crossbar and out it comes.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

D V> 88XJ - 4.0L- Need to replace the timing cover seal, will check/replace

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Chris and Mike. Thought it was probably for the HB, just thought I would check. Replaced the balancer last year as it was starting to separate, so it is good.

Rest of job looks like it should be ok Thanks again.

Von Rick

Reply to
D Vonrick