'89 Cherokee Throttle Linkage

I have an '89 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer that I am bringing back to life. The throttle was sticking and remaining open any time I would start it and give it any gas. Initially, I tried to fix the problem by spraying WD40 on mechanical moving parts that would affect the throttle. When I purchased this Jeep it had been sitting for a good while. That really did not do much so it was suggested to me to clean the throttle body and check the spring and all that good stuff.

So, over the weekend I actually removed the throttle body and cleaned it really well with carb cleaner. I found that the throttle body is not the issue, but it seems like it is the throttle linkage. The throttle linkage seems to be sticking really bad.

Problem I have is when I tried to put the throttle linkage back on the throttle arm of the throttle body. The throttle linkage connector (or whatever its name might be) will not stay on the throttle arm now. I believe it is broken.

I have been looking for a replacement online and have only found one place which is AutoZone for $125.00. Seems a little salty to me.

Anyone have suggestions or advice on any of this.

Thanks!

Reply to
DACMAN

My CJ7's was also broken and Bill H recommended a paper clip fix. I tried it and it works excellently. I wrapped the clip around the post, fit the linkage piece on and looped the clip over the link part. It now stays put.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

They are metal clips on these Bill so you have to buy the whole cable.

When our idle blows high, it has always been the connection on the TPS. I give it a clean and away it goes again.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
DACMAN

Reply to
DACMAN

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Update! Last night I went out to Jeep and tried tackling the problem again. The first time I tried snapping the throttle linkage back on the throttle arm I was only using my fingers. Last night I used pliers and it snapped right back on with no problems. I started the Jeep up and found that it was reving fine. I got a little cocky and took it around the block and then at some point the throttle went back to its bad behavior and would not close. So, I had to turn the Jeep off and manually close it. So, I am stilling has this problem with the throttle linkage sticking. It seems to be sticking where the throttle linkage connects to the side of the motor.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
DACMAN

Reply to