'89 YJ engine

I think the time to make a decision has come. My son's YJ has a rather loud ticking noise coming from the top end. Without even attempting any diagnostics, I am figuring burned valve, bad lifter, flat cam lobe, or something similar. I was thinking about R/R the head (if the problem turns out to be there, but it has over 200K mi on it, so I figure that any attempt to fix that problem will be followed by one problem after the other. I'm thinking it's time to decide between long block, or master kit. I had been thinking about sticking a 4.0 in it, but he is still in school, so I have to balance time/money restrictions. I can get a long block @ Kragen Auto for $1360.00. & now it's time to hit the 'net & compare long block vs master kit............ Any suggestions, hot tips, etc on where to get the mostest for the leastest??????

Reply to
Carlo

It neeeds to come apart _before_ you start spending money. Otherwise, you are building a mental picture that is definitely either worse or better than reality.

I would go with a late model pull over a aftermarket rebuild personally.

If you're going to major it and it still runs, it may be better to buy a old one for core and OH it so you can swap in one afternoon.

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Not disagreeing - but my line of thought is that if I have it down that far - it would be "cheap insurance" to go ahead & do the master kit thing (crank, rods, bearings, pistons, cam, lifters, etc)............unless someone changes my mind..

I spent a few minutes on the net looking @ Jegs, summit, & speed-o-motive for packages & can't find anything. The plan is to spend more time later tonight @ clifford, hesco, etc.....but my wife spent last night @ her brothers house in San Jose & I have to clean up before she gets home (PW & proud of it)

The idea of buying a junk yard core & rebuilding it is tempting. I didn't want to buy an extra engine due to plans to upgrade in the future...........but it may be a better idea than buying a long block.

Reply to
Carlo